Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Perks of Being a Sports Babe

[And now I present to you the lovely merc3069 from BookBitten so show her some love!]

As everyone knows, Dorkys is a Phillies fan ;-), so I know she can relate to the joys of being a hot sports babe.

I grew up the eldest daughter of a Puerto Rican father, so baseball and boxing ruled in my house, followed closely by basketball. One of my favorite father/daughter moments was staying up late to watch Bill Laimbeer brawl his way to victory. When I started dating, knowing about sports became both a blessing and a curse; what guy in his right mind could date a girl who knew more stats than he did? Then again, a good number of them were intrigued-maybe the real turn off was that I had the mouth of a sailor...? My first love ended partially because he couldn't keep up with who was in the baseball playoffs--great guy, decent kisser, zero interest in sports. I hear he is now a political wonk--go figure....

As I got older, my horizon expanded to football, both pro and college. (I still draw the line at NASCAR--I know enough to keep up with Sports Center, but really, when did turning left become a sport?)

My husband is an obsessive football and boxing fan. They say you marry your dad, right? There used to be a great radio talk show with a woman who was called the Sports Babe. I am waiting for Sirius to call me up, hell, I even come complete with DD's and husky voice.....

Recommended Reading

Holly Robinson Peete wrote a great football book for women called Get Your Own Damn Beer, I'm Watching the Game!: A Woman's Guide to Loving Pro Football.

Read all about the famous Sports Babe, Nanci Donnellan in The Babe in Boyland.

[And for you wannabe baseball fans out there, you definitely need to check out Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks. Mr. First bought it for me last year and I actually learned tons from it without passing out from boredom! Score!]

Image: blogs.abc.net.au

6 comments :

  1. Great guest blogger post. I'm with you on the sports gig - my hub's friends call our house after a great game to chat...but they don't call for him! LOL He knows sports, but he's not "into" it like I am. He's either there in person or else he'll be in the other room watching "Entourage".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baseball RULES in my house. But, alas, it is the only sport I watch. I do know alot about the other sports, I just prefer baseball.

    All my sports knowledge came from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay. I didn't know you were into sports! ESPN is on 24/7 in our house but Basketball is my favorite.

    Great Guest Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a big fan but great post Merc!
    I'd feel compelled to make more of an effort when guest blogging, you sound so relaxed.

    Hi Dorkys -- you've made a really big effort on the guest blogging marlarky, I'm in awe.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Baseball too. Its a great sport!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved sports for oh about 30 years now. It started in the late 70's with Pro Football, watching Dallas and Pittsburgh battle it out.

    Then when I moved to Chicago, my mom of all people got into the Cubs, watching the game every day on WGN. Since then, I've been a Cubbies fan.

    About 1996 or so, I worked with a gal who had met Dale Earnhardt Sr. and was a HUGE Nascar fan. Of course, I had to check it out. I still watch it religiously, in fact I have Sunday's race in Phoenix recorded that I have to watch yet tonight.

    I grew up listening to the Iowa Hawkeyes play football on the radio every Saturday, so catch them whenever they are on tv here (which isn't often).

    I was a huge basketball fan, Da Bulls, when Michael Jordan was playing. But now it's just a bunch of showoffs, getting paid lots of money to play street ball in an arena. No thanks.

    I think most guys are a little weirded out by how much I like sports.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.