Friday, November 7, 2008

Dear Old Love

The other day Heidi e-mailed me a link she saw on Single-ish. Ryan had run into his ex-girlfriend and participated in the usual awkward pleasantries. Then he introduced his new favorite site, Dearoldlove.com, a place where people write what they wish they could say to their past loves. Notes such as:

“Please stop agreeing to let me come over and watch movies. We broke up a year ago. Have some dignity for me, since I clearly have none of my own.”

"Remind me to tell your new girlfriend that you named her dog the same thing you were going to name that baby I chose not to have."

"I root for the Giants because of you. My husband has no idea."

"I never wanted children. But the idea of you as a parent is so profound that now I want to have kids so I can raise them like I imagine you would."

I’ve written several letters knowing full well I’ll never send them. And for better (or for worse) I’ve been able to say any and everything I’ve felt since the breakup with little remorse. I haven’t had the need to mull things over with him in a long while because I feel we’ve said all there is to say and I’ve come to terms with the fact that overanalyzing is a total killer. So I’ve learned to let things be as they are.

Besides, sometimes I feel like this blog itself is one big letter to him. A twisted way of showing that I’m ok.

Image: blackwell-compass.com

10 comments :

  1. Sometimes I wish that I could just tell people what I feel. No holding back. I know someone like that and he seems to live a happy carefree life. And I think it is because he says what he wants when he wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I'll have to remember this post once I get to the ending of my Padded Room section of the blog (if I can ever manage to finish it up...). Im sure there's plenty I could put into a letter and not much of it complimentary either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at these:

    "I still use your last name when I doodle my future signature."

    And this one broke my heart:

    "I named a playlist after you,so at least I still have a relationship with your music."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh! You've already nailed me twice with cheering for his team and now the playlist...he always sent me so many songs. I'd play them as I fell asleep at night, on my way to work, strolls through the park. Basically everywhere because they reminded me of him. And yes the playlist on itunes has his name on it.

    Loser much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, sorry! I didnt know about the playlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. these really do tug at your heart and, if you're not feeling that pain right now, bring it right back up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to have to check out this site. Mine would read "Thank you. For not commiting. Because of that decision you made, I was able to find my husband."

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWWWWWWWWW that's so sweet!!
    when I was younger and my grandma died I used to tie letters to a ballon and just let go up in the clouds, i SHOULD do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH. MY. GOD.

    I have never laughed harder at some of those on that site!!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.