Thursday, October 1, 2009

Read Any Controversial Books Lately?


In honor of Banned Books Week, I took a look at the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books: 1990-1999 (since this decade's not done yet) to see which of my faves had made the cut.

-The Catcher in the Rye
-Goosebumps (Series) (You've got to be kidding me here.)
-The Witches (Anything by Roald Dahl is GOLD to me.)
-To Kill a Mockingbird (The rare instance where I loved the book as much as the film and was sad when both ended.)
-Harry Potter (Series)
-James and the Giant Peach
-Brave New World (Though I must say, I loved 1984 much more, but it's not on this particular list.)
-Where's Waldo? (Really? Geez. I bet there was a questionable object or action in all that mess and OF COURSE someone with too much time and 20/20 vision reported that one.)

And there are so many others that I should've read during my teen years that I might just have to play catch up with now. But I like that some of the classics I did read only a couple years ago (Mockingbird, Catcher, 1984, Brave New World), weren't ruined by the wackness that was high school mandatory reading. To this day, I still don't understand what's so great about The Great Gatsby. I just remember trudging through it in English class and wanting the torture to be over.

Anywho! Did any of your favorite books get hated on?

P.S. Please note the number of sex ed books on that list. How else would I have learned anything I knew? Lord knows I couldn't actually ask a human being about it! Shoot, I remember checking out human anatomy books from the junior high school library on the low and then wanting the floor to swallow me up - while keeping my cool - when some obnoxious, popular girl saw me returning it and told the whole class. Yay for fun times!

P.P.S. Here's a list of banned/challenged classics and why certain people hate America.

Image: ala.org

11 comments :

  1. Want to read any of them for the book club?

    :)

    "James and the Giant Peach" sort of intrigues me - I saw part of the animated movie and scratched my head.

    Some pretty hefty (thought provoking) books in that list. I enjoyed The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain; A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle (I love this book); and Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett (this took a whole summer to read!).

    I'd agree with Stephen King being poo-poo'ed on though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Kill a Mockingbird has always been my favorite book. I had a teacher in 7th grade that let us read it in class and she ended up getting in trouble for it.

    My 17 year old brother (who is in high school) just finished reading it for his Lit class. It was on the "Recommended Reading List." Oh how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because we have choice in what we pick up to read...I do not understand all the objections. You always get the option to exclude your child (and ruin their coolness AND their ability to see the world through a different point of view) from reading participation. Why do these people insist on pushing their views of what is and is NOT acceptable on all of us? I don't find it acceptable for ME to wear knit jumpers, but people do it. I also don't find it acceptable for ME to take in all reading material as the end all, be all, but people do it. Stupid people.

    Let's read one for book club. I'm with Iggy. Pick. I'll re-read it if I've already read it. Just so I can discuss it with people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^^^I completely agree with TOOJ. The world isn't making someone pick up these books, it's the person's choice. Just because you find it offensive, doesn't mean the rest of the world will agree with you. I think it sorta steps on the toes of "free speech" a little. People need something better to do with their free time. Why don't they all come over and mow my lawn? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of them I know well. Some I've heard of and want to read. A couple I've never even heard of though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe some of the books on that list! That is just insane.
    Some people just need to pull something out of the butts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Where's Waldo?"

    Oh for pete's sake. What is this world coming to when those books get banned and yet my daughter's school has implemented "Gay Day" for the homosexuals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allyson, I laughed out loud at your request to have them mow your lawn! Thanks. :) (Send them my way for dishes when they're done.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree anything by Roald Dahl is GOLD! Have you ever seen the TV series of Tales of the Unexpected? So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The people who ban books make me so angry. It's so ridiculous! There is far worse crap on tv than in these books, that at least help kids learn to THINK. I really don't understand why Harry Potter gets so hated on. The kids got good morals, and he does good things. What's not to like? James and the Giant Peach, REALLY? What was so bad about that kid's book??
    Seriously when I become a parent, if I have to deal with these whiny parents I am going to get myself expelled... would it increase my kid's cool factor if I punch out the bitchy parent who complains about the classic books?

    ReplyDelete

Say word.