Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nugget News

Ok, real talk: I've been semi-slacking on the blog front. I've been too busy doing what I'm actually paid to do (for the bills, the bills are calling), working on getting some side gigs, getting sickish over and over, settling into a new commute routine and, frankly, just being plain ol' tired.

I've had a ton of blog post ideas, but no time or energy to write them at night and schedule them for the following days. So here are some in small easy-to-digest bits.

*****

Know how out of the loop I've been? I didn't know the Phillies became the NL East Champions for the third year in a row (though that was expected) and have already started playing the Rockies in the Division Series. They won yesterday's game and lost tonight's.





*****

I read about this Turkish photographer/cab driver on CNN.com yesterday morning. He drives around Istanbul in his taxi and snaps shots of the poor and homeless usually juxtaposed with ads of happy, rich and smiling models. His mission: to flash a light on Istanbul's gritty streets and let the voices of those who live there be heard. See his striking images here.

They reminded me of my volunteer days when we'd drive around midtown at night and serve food to the homeless in the area. Sometimes we'd leave sandwiches and oranges next to them as they slept just feet away from the fancy stores on Fifth Ave. Always seemed so backwards to me.

*****

Has anyone been watching The Hills or The City? I'd never seen the latter before this week and fell off The Hills mid-last season, but my main questions are:

1. Why does Spencer suck at life so much?? Why did that fool marry him?! He obviously still has no regard for her input (since he went ahead and put a deposit down on that house without asking her first) and he keeps being a complete [expletive] to the neighbor's little boy.

2. Why doesn't he get with Kristin Cavallari instead? Because she has no morals either.

3. And finally, can someone please explain to me why Olivia Palermo (from The City) feels so entitled at her sweet new job at Elle? Oh wait, apparently it's because she's filthy rich and doesn't need to scrounge around for money. I actually gasped when she told her editor that if she didn't like the accessories she brought back for the story, she could "go do it herself."

*****

I went to a fun media event last night (and another one less so this afternoon). These things can either be interesting or unbelievably boring and luckily yesterday's was a really good one. As should've been expected: it was held by a popular online dating site. Hey, if they made me reconsider the benefits of joining one, then you know they were good! I met some great people, which is nice since I tend to become socially awkward if I'm around cliquish people. I also ate fantastic hors d'oeuvres and got my drink on at the open bar (though I was a bit hesitant at first because everyone around me was sipping Perrier. But after a while - and some encouraging from the PR chicks I was standing around with - I ordered an "Ooh, fancy!" apple martini.)

Car service whisked me to the penthouse locale and back to my Bronx apartment, much too tired to attempt a post.


Of course there's more, but it's almost 9:30 PM and I'm going to have to force myself into bed earlier if I'm ever going to feel better. Hope everyone's week has been lovely!

P.S. I know it doesn't look like I'm slacking since somehow I've managed to post every single day, but I just feel like I am. (Actually just realized that I didn't miss a day like I'd thought.) How bloggers manage to go a week without checking in and still survive is beyond me.

7 comments :

  1. I used to watch "The Hills" but gave up on it. There was too much fighting, and too much Heidi and Spencer. Those two make me ill. All they do is create photo ops from their fake life then call the papparazzi to take pictures of them. Seriously. Get lives. You have no real talent or marketable skills. See just typing about it, it's getting me riled up. -sigh-

    The press event sounds like it was a good time. I'm actually one of those PR chicks of whom you speak. Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't get to relate to the public very often! Mostly I relate to the media. I love it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, I feel so lost and behind if I don't check it regularly. I will have to check out that photographers work, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better asap and get some rest and relaxation this weekend.

    Go Yanks! Ooooooh.. nooooo.... she's gonna keeeeeeellll meeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staying busy is never a bad thing, just don't let it run you into the ground.

    I actually sighed relief (yes, literally) when I realized I no longer wanted to tune into teenaged/young twenties shows. I thought it'd make me old and marmy, but it's been nice. I no longer feel a pull to watch shows like you mentioned or the The Real World. I used to think, while I watched, "OMG, I would have done or said THIS!" Now? I watch and think, "Holy Hell, what did your parents do to you?"

    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intense Guy I like you!! I am a Yankees/Boston girl....I know, I know I'm torn between the 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photographer's work is just so poignant. I'm not sure why (because I've always been lucky to have a roof over my head), but I've always had a soft spot for the homeless.

    It always reminds me just how lucky and blesed I am when I look at photos like this.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should do what I do... When I know I'll be away from the blogs for a few days, or will be too busy to come on the blogs - despite only being a few feet away from the laptop - I schedule posts for the days I wont be around. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.