Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Lovely Bones

Saturday night, I passed up an outing and opted to stay home curled up on the couch listening to the thunderstorm with Toby by my side - the perfect setting to get lost in a good book.

I don't know why I'd waited two years to open it up, but I'd finally started reading The Lovely Bones a couple weeks ago. And during that time I'd been slowly digesting it in bits here and there on my train rides. It wasn't as quick as I thought it'd be, at least not the first half, and in retrospect I'm glad. It forced me to slow down and really experience Susie Salmon's worlds - both the one she leaves behind after she's brutally raped and murdered and then one that allows her to watch over those still living.

The story is told from the 14-year-old's perspective and I have to say she's quite eloquent for someone her age. The way she describes her heaven and how her family and friends each deal with the grief that follows is both heartbreaking and beautiful.

When I sat to read the final third, there really was no use in holding back the tears. I was so moved, that I started thinking about the people important to me. I thought about how much I hold back on telling them how much they mean to me. About how we've let time, distance and little disagreements get in the way of showing that at the end of the day we simply care. Be it because our pride gets in the way or because fear stops us in our tracks, we don't say how we truly feel often enough.

But because I don't know anyone who wouldn't want to hear they're loved or missed right before drifting off for the night, I sent three little texts to three special people. And though the tears still rolled onto my pillowcase as I pulled the covers over my head, a nice calm came over me and I feel asleep with a soothed heart.

I wonder if the movie (out in December) will have this same effect.



Images: Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische and josoandsew.wordpress.com

23 comments :

  1. I am so happy to read this post, I cannot count how many times I looked at this book then picked up something else.....I will have to pick it up now....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got three sweet text messages in return. I suspect they all love you very much.

    :)

    I'm reading a book titled, "Walking in Circles Before Lying Down" by Merrill Markoe. I hope its just as good and as moving as the book you just read.

    Its about a Dog Whisperer... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg there's a movie!!! im excited and scared shitless for it lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i just saw the trailer and i am requesting a date with you for this lol...for some reason it seems more suspenseful than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it dude. Will you be treating me to dinner too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that looks good.. and really creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got past the first half of the book... everything was so sloooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww. The movie looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Film will never be as good as book. Fact.
    Especially this book, which was phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I use 'enjoyed' loosely. It certainly isn't a light read. :)

    The movie is getting all sorts of good buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. if mickeyd's counts as dinner then suuuureeee lol...or u can always come by my house and get a home cooked meal from nelba or my mom lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen the book around, but never picked it up. You make it sound intriguing....if not a little sad. I might have to try it out. COULD HAVE BEEN a book club book. *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you KNOW I have a hard time picking a book I think would have mass appeal. For some reason I didn't know if many people would be interested in this one. It was really good though :p

    Now what to read next...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this book and it's been taken back and forth from uni for nearly 3 years now and is left unread. I need to read it!

    SE x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book is on my Goodreads list and I am really looking forward to reading it.

    I think the movie is going to be pretty good too. Saoirse Ronan is incredibly talented for such a young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've walked past this book several times. I think I will just pick it up and curl up for what sounds to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg it took me mad long to finish it too, bc it WAS slow in the beginning! lol. anyways, aww i love you too, and you know i am in for that date! triple D powah!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, turns out you're not invited.

    Hee hee :p

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol, lucky for me, i dont need an invite to tag along!

    see you thheeeerrreee!

    ps. my paper is actually by some miracle done (putting the citation and editing touches right now), so ill be coming through saturday afternoon, need me to bring la faldita rosada?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I swung by after work tonight and grabbed it. But I'll be around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. el diache, ladrona coño! no tuviste la decencia de darme ni un lil heads up!?? como te queda? mira si me daña esa vaina, van a ver consequencias!

    ps. mi nombre es dama, y soy dominicana.

    K LO K DAMA!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mona, you'd already given me the go-ahead...so I went ahead and took it. And no, I haven't tried it on yet. One of these days talvez.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a lovely post, and sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Lovely Bones is a superb thriller and drama movie. This movie was implausible and I just loved the way it was. You must watch The Lovely Bones, I bet that you will enjoy this movie like the book.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.