Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My A to Your Q: On 32- and 37-Year-Old Me



Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 or 15 years time? ~Tori_z

A: First off, I can barely imagine myself over 40 so I've decided to do the five and 10 year marks instead.

I think the next five years will be all about cultivating my career, branching out and becoming better. I see the next five years being all about me and my personal growth. I wish I had the guts (and the financial backing) to up and go wherever the wind blew. The last thing I want to feel is "stuck." Every thing's a variable that can be tweaked and changed if you so choose and I really want to make the most of that before starting a family.

That said, maybe it's because I'm still not allowing myself to think about it, but I don't see marriage or children playing a role within that time.

The 10-year time frame is different. I hope my life at that point includes:

- A sweet, supportive husband and a pair of messy, brilliant little kids.
- A well-established writing career filled with book tours and trips to foreign countries.
- A cozy home...outside of NYC. Although I'm slightly torn on this, I'm leaning more towards the house with green grass my children (and Toby and I) can run on. I want tire swings and flowers. I've been dreaming of trips to the orchard, hay rides and fairs (so much for the city girl, huh?). Truth be told, I find myself wanting the life Mr. First and I would have settled into.

As much as I love this city and all it has to offer, I don't want to wake up 10 years from now and realize I've never truly experienced life outside of it.

Image: flickr.com

15 comments :

  1. Great post! May you achieve your goals!!! Visiting from STIS! Glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice set of goals and a great outlook too, well, except maybe the "messy" kids (I am sure you don't mean goats...)

    Who knows - maybe you will move into Bill Clinton's place (after they move out of course).

    Seriously - I truly hope you achieve those dreams. You have the brains, the writing talent, the awesome hair, a television quality smile and a wonderful doggy. In ten years time, I expect to be a Dorkys Ramos book signing event (wearing only one hat) waiting in a long line of fans for the chance to have you sign my long awaited copy of your latest book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that you have mentioned could be found in the city, the green grass and all,the idea of travelling sounds wonderful its always a great thing to get out and see other places.

    Wish you all the best with your writing career and the family plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Iggy. I'll be in line too....preferably without the messy kids attached to my side. They'll be off somewhere with their dad, getting into trouble. I'm pretty sure I won't be wearing two hats either...but maybe one. If my hair keeps falling out from the stress, I will certainly learn how to sport style in a hat. :)

    It'll be exciting to see where we are in 5-10-15. Although that 40 is approaching faster than I care to admit. I need chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up a ways outside of Chicago and always dreamed of living in the city. I never did and now still fantasize about it. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :)
    Though, I agree once there are kids in the picture it is so good to have room for them to run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answer. :)

    I'll be happy to join that line to have my copy of your book signed. Make sure you make all your books available on audio, OK? Oh, and bring permanent markers to your book signing so you can sign the cover of my audiobook. I promise to keep the messy kids I'll have in tow away from said markers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sound like well-thought and reasonable answers. And I have no doubt that you will achieve everything you set out to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answer to this question. I hope you achieve all your goals and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answers. All that stuff about the orchard, hay rides and fairs is the reason I moved out of San Francisco. I love being able to walk to the park, and know that I can take a five min car ride to the pumpkin patch and corn maze. I hope you reach your goals career wise, and who knows, the whole love thing could come along soon. You just never know when something like that is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a mother's earth, gracias!

    intense guy, eh I figured low expectations on their cleanliness level will keep the stress at bay. Aww and thanks for the well wishes! I'll look for you in the crowd :)

    unbreakable, I know it can, but I do want to get out there too. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up coming back, but I want to have something/where to compare this place to.

    tooj, I'd say it feels like a lifetime from now, but time also seems to be flying by! 2010 is already around the corner...

    Hope you enjoyed that chocolate!

    emmy, exactly. I don't want to worry about them getting run over by a taxi, a bus, the train, a speed walker. I'm too much of a worrier.

    Then again, the craziest/creepiest people live in suburbia. Too much time and not enough to do I guess.

    tori_z, audiobooks and markers. Check and check!

    karen, that's the thing. It's all thought and too little action. I'm on it though!

    leslie, me too kid. Hit me back up in 10 years and I'll let you know how things actually turned out. God I hope I'm not knee-deep in diapers and bored out of my mind.

    date girl, ooh! A pumpkin patch!! Great idea! I've never been to one. And yeah, I know the whole love thing can just pop up out of nowhere. Hopefully it doesn't derail me when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool post ratona, I read it yesterday and didn't get a chance to comment.
    Dorkys con muchachos.. hmmm can I be a madrina at least??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you achieve everything your heart desires.

    PS. Your cozy home outside of NYC sounds dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love 'em! What's going to be so insane is re-reading this four years from now and seeing how close you are to realizing those exact dreams, then surpassing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with iggy...unless he's wearing the Gas below hat, then there's no way in hell I'm standing near him. *laffz* j/k

    I hit 40 this year...and STILL can't see myself past the age of 40. What's that tell ya?

    Looks like you have a pretty good plan so far though!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.