Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Twenties Girl

Before I review this book, I should clear something up first.

I love Sophie Kinsella and in my eyes, the woman can do no wrong. Her stories are so easy to get lost in and when I want to escape and be entertained, her books always do the trick.

Her newest novel, Twenties Girl, is a mystery/ghost story that unites 20-something-year-old Lara Lington and her recently deceased great aunt Sadie - as her 20-year-old self...and straight from the Roaring 20s. Sadie asks her great niece to fulfill a request that will let her rest in peace, but Lara's got enough problems as it is: her man just broke things off out of nowhere, her parents think she's thisclose to losing it, her bff up and left her to manage their new business by herself to go sunbathe with some new beau. Oh, and she hasn't a clue what's she doing.

It's a good thing Sadie has a flair for making things just...happen.

Kinsella has a talent for creating wonderful female characters that not only draw you in from the start (with their hilarious antics), but also wind you around their little finger. You get caught up in their highs and lows, root for them and then miss them once the last page is turned.

Sadie's highly spirited self is the star here. In between all the dancing, the screaming and nagging Lara to help her, she teaches Lara a few lessons about life and love. Some of my favorite Sadie-isms include:

"When I was your age, if a boy behaved badly, one simply scored his name out from one's dance card."

"Darling, when things go wrong in life, this is what you do. You lift your chin, put on a ravishing smile, mix yourself a little cocktail - and out you go."

"You say, 'Good riddance,' buy a new dress, and take another lover. Or several."

"The worst thing a girl can do is trail after a boy when a love affair is dead."

"It's not enough to believe! You could spend your whole life hoping and believing! If a love affair is one-sided, then it's only ever a question, never an answer. You can't live your life waiting for an answer...Because you can want and want and want. But if he doesn't want you back...you might as well wish the sky were red."

But beneath all that pride, we learn there's much more to her than glam flapper dresses, dancing the Charleston and flirtation. Although the plot resolves itself a bit too easily in the end, I didn't mind too much. I'd just become attached and wanted a little more time with dear Sadie.

Twenties Girl is both lighthearted and moving and makes you think about the time we have with those we love. Shoot, I was laughing one minute and choking up the next - in the park no less!

Image: cbsnews.com

11 comments :

  1. This book sounds fabulous! A little ghostie, a little romantic, what more could a book need? Adding it to my list of must-reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a whole heck of a lot of fun! I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, i miss reading books like these...thanks for reminding me. sadie sounds like a very interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for some good Chick Lit type of books to read and I have yet to read Sophie Kinsella. I might have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was this close to buying this today! I love Sophie Kinsella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always looking for a new good book to read and this one sounds falulous! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciao Dorkys Ramos. I like your posts. I never read Kinsella (it's because I'm a man or just an Italian neglectfull reader?), I know her name by the movie.
    Btw it's an opportunity to me to read something different. Thank you.
    PS: thank you for visiting my blog and for the sweet comment. Ciao, Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Kinsella as well. I have read all her books and especially adore The Undomestic Goddess. I can't believe I didn't know this book came out. I am making a note to myself to reserve it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I saw someone else review this book some time ago. I remember thinking that it sounded like a really neat read. Now that I see a second review, I'm thinking I need to add it to my "must read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just started to read Kinsella, much to all my friends dismay seeing as they have done this ages ago but am really enjoying her! Love the review, will have to give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo I haven't read this yet, but I've read all her others and cannot wait to get started on it. It sounds fab :)

    SE x

    ReplyDelete

Say word.