Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Things to Hate About More to Love

This new reality dating show has been on for several weeks now and it still doesn’t sit well with me. (Mind you I keep on watching it.) More to Love (Tuesdays at 9 PM EST, Fox) is pretty much The Bachelor only 50-100 pounds heavier. And though I wish the contestants on all of these shows were a better reflection of what real people look like, the “reality” is that they will always choose the slim and pretty.

Then in comes More to Love, failing with its “good intentions.” A hefty man himself, Luke the Bachelor loves meaty women and hopes to find love in this plus-sized batch. And if you can’t tell these women are that just by looking at them, the show’s got you covered: each woman’s stats appear on the screen whenever she talks to the camera. Way to promote that size does not matter, guys.

Each episode is filled with waterworks as the ladies recount their tales of insensitive men who couldn’t see past their weight. Of dateless proms and lonely existences.

But now there was hope in Luke who’s come to their rescue! He makes them feel special, loved, sexy, wanted. Honestly, the way these women have placed that man on a pedestal is a bit disturbing. They want so much to be accepted that many of them fail to realize that their happiness doesn't/shouldn't lie in someone else – especially not on a dating show! (They also don’t seem to care that Darling Luke is kissing up on one chick soon after cuddling with another. Ew.)

The diamond ring (instead of roses) that each contestant receives also seems cruel to me. I bet they’ve each dreamed of getting married someday, but have trouble believing it can fully happen for them. They live and die by those rings with each passing elimination ceremony.

And you know damn well he’s not proposing to anybody once the show’s over.

Give me Flavor of Love over this any day. At least those women were straight up crazy. Toying around with emotional, insecure women with serious body issues is just wrong.

And yet for some reason I’ll still be watching…

Image: pursedlips.net

11 comments :

  1. Stopping by to say hello in return from SITS! did you see my post on More to Love? I'm the author of a book with the exact same name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree dorky, it does seem cruel.....
    but i guess it makes good reality tv no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. You are tooo hilarious~ I am definitely marking your blog~ LOVE it!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way with Big Brother..it's a pretty bad show with lots of shouting but I can't stop watching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely turn on the tv to save myself from stupid shows like that one. Give me a good book any day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TV really does cater to the lowest possible denominator doesn't it.

    Ugh. What a waste of ... just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some shows kill my brain cells...this sounds like one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I may get thrown to the blogging hyenas for this comment, but here goes....

    Just because size zero and two isn't necessarily "reality" doesn't make it wrong. And just because size 14-18 is "reality" doesn't make it right.

    Everyone keeps trying to say the "normal woman is..." and that we should all conform beauty around the figure that has now become America's norm. My response??? NO. HELL NO. Just because 14-18 is the norm doesn't make it healthy, and I am damn sure not going to tell my friends who are plus size that "it's okay" to be big if they aren't healthy.

    It all comes down to choices about health. We're a bigger society now because we're required to do physically LESS to sustain daily existence. And just because THAT is the norm for work now, it doesn't mean we should neglect our bodies and change the norm of appearance and health.

    Obesity (which most of these women medically qualify as) is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, instigators of the demise of our health care costs. Obese people and the issues that arise from it are killing our health care costs (along with the snaky insurance/doctor tandems).

    So I don't like the show. Just in case you wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I meant is that I wish there wasn't a separation between the "thin" and "thick" sets. My problem with this show (and the other ones as well to some extent) is the fact that they exploit these women a bit. I know they signed up for this craziness, but geez the insecurity that oozes from their pores is uncomfortable to watch.

    Also, just because you're larger doesn't necessarily mean you're unhealthy. Obviously this doesn't really apply if you're 300 lbs, but weight isn't indicative of health. You must admit that most people look at someone who's larger than "average" and assume they struggle with health problems. Shoot, that person might be more fit than the rest of us! Lord knows I'm super thin and could stand to exercise more than I do.

    And this is from someone whose reality is all about the size 00. And it annoys me that if people who looked like me were portrayed then everyone would raise a hissy fit about promoting unhealthy body images. We come in all shapes and sizes and I wish TV, magazines, movies, music videos, etc showcased ALL of that instead of saying this is beautiful and this is not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched the first episode because I thought, "Hey! Finally a show for normal people!"

    Of course, this is Fox we're talking about,where such shows don't exist.

    I agree. These women are being manipulated and exploited because they are devastatingly insecure. I was horrified when I saw their weight displayed onscreen.

    When it comes to TV, I have concluded there is no such thing as reality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't watch any of those shows. All I can say is that the contestants shouldn't bitch and moan about things. They knew what they were getting into when they signed up for their 15 minutes of humiliation.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.