Sunday, August 30, 2009

How Was Your Weekend?

Mine lasted about 5,000 years so I'm ready to re-enter civilization. (I'm giving it two hours before I want to retreat though.)


Friday


I discovered* a great new center a couple minutes away (by train) near Yankee Stadium. I was going to schlep all the way downtown to buy a wedding present at Bed, Bath and Beyond, but apparently there was one close by.

Ok, so I get to this place and imagine my surprise when I see there's not only a Bed, Bath and Beyond but a BJs, Best Buy, Applebee's, Staples, Michaels, Marshalls and....Target!! Eeee! (Yes, there's a Target, Marshalls and Applebee's a 10-minute walk from me, but it was a nice surprise and I loved that these other stores were there too.)

Anywho, I fulfilled my wedding duties and then walked on over to Target for some essentials. Then came home and cooked for the first time in about a month. Went to bed after midnight watching a Criminal Minds marathon on A&E. (Just started watching and I think I'm a little hooked. Does anybody else watch?)

*By discovered I mean Dad told me of its existence and I went to check it out.


Saturday

The lovely bridal shower for Anonymous' sis. I admit I wasn't exactly in the mood to party that day. I was feeling cranktastic and it got even worse when Toby chewed up a second pair of flip flops this week.

I somehow made it to the place after my taxi driver took me on a tour around Yonkers because he had no clue where he was going. Once there I pretty much parked my butt on a corner of the couch watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and waiting for the soon-to-be-wed (in exactly two weeks!) to arrive. She did...about an hour and a half later.

Then came the games. Oh the games. Let me start by saying that I was set on observing rather than participating in any of them. I just wasn't into playing silly games and I especially did NOT want to join in on the toilet paper dress madness. (I know, I know! I'm a Debbie Downer. Anyway...)

First game: Get into groups and guess the girl's age in each of a bunch of pictures. Pass.

Second game: Toilet paper wedding dress. I was determined to sit this one out. But of course this one had a twist. The bride-to-be chose who'd pose as the brides and who their four dressmakers would be. Ok, out of all the women available why was I chosen as a dress maker? Who knows.

But you know what? I LOVED it! Our girl was by far the best dressed there. For starters, her paper dress didn't fall apart in the fashion show that followed and it was actually a nice dress/ she didn't look like a mummy. Girl worked it!

Much to my surprise, I had a great time participating in this one. My ice was starting to break.

Third game: Hot bouquet. Pass the roses around and if you're holding the flowers when the music stops, you're out. I played a bit reluctantly, but I was in there a lot longer than I expected to be.

Now, the bride-to-be is marrying an Arabic guy and in their culture, the bride has to belly dance at her wedding. So his sisters came baring coined hip scarves and taught us a couple moves. They were so good! Again, I watched from the sidelines...until Shakira came on. I couldn't resist.

I ended out the night by voluntarily belly dancing for the guests* with a little girl. It was awesome :)

*I wasn't drunk.

So I started off blah and ended up having a wonderful time. Now all that's left is finding shoes and getting my dress shortened. Two weeks left!


Sunday

Straight chillin' because apparently I didn't do enough of it during my five day break. Went to see mami (aka eat her food) and then I took her out for ice cream.


Your turn.

Image: flickr.com

8 comments :

  1. Friday we took a trip out to visit someplace in town tha tI normally wouldn't go to because I was THAT desparate to actually DO something. Not gonna say where because then I won't have anything to say in my own blog. If you want a hint, go to my Flickr account. No...it wasn't South Fork, that trip was a few years back.

    Saturday the truck went in for repairs....*AGAIN*.

    Quick weekend, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend!

    I spent mine ditching my friend's birthday party because I had a migraine! Boooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend.

    Up until Saturday afternoon I posted what I'd been up to on my blog. The rest of Saturday - and most of Sunday - I spent alternating between checking blogs and working on my knitting while watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never pictured you to be a wallflower. i'm glad you came out of observation and got into participation mode at the party! cute picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is AMAZING how much fun you will have if you JUST participate and smile. Smiling can make almost anything feel better. You might look like a fool when you're trying to make yourself feel better, but it WORKS. Try it more often. And you should always participate in silly games. It'll bring back those silly giggly giddy days of elementary school. I wish you had a picture to share of the dress you made. If you do, I highly suggest you post it. :) For me, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Look at that crowd of women happy for Anonymous' sister!

    I'm sitting here smiling - cause try as you might to be Debbie Downer, you had fun and a lot of it from the sounds of it. :)

    Hmm.. I bet that belly dancing was a something to see. Be almost worth becoming arabic just for that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that picture is just us youngens! There were lots more umm...more mature women at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, that's a LOT of people at the bridal shower! Anon's sister is well-loved.

    Pesto chews on shoes too, but only when he goes to the grandparents' house, so I don't mind as much. =p I hope Toby grows out of this phase soon.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.