Sunday, January 11, 2009

Twenty-Seven


One more year to file away with its collection of stories, memories and lessons. Twenty-six did its thing. It forced me to grow. It showed me how low I can throw myself and how I can bounce back. It showed me wonderful times and dark days. Twenty-six was my wake up call. I just hope twenty-seven is the snooze button. I need some serious rest after last year.

I'm lucky. My birthday comes nipping at the heels of the new year. I get twice the chance to look within and without; twice the chance to figure out where I am and who I want to be. Not to mention a chance to give any resolutions a little boost 11 days in.

Inspired by Lisa's lovely list, I've decided to create my own year-long list of things I'd like to do before I turn 28.

1. Learn Italian (in progress)
2. Travel to a new country
3. Take swimming lessons
4. Find my own go-to cafe
5. Finish the hallway photo gallery
6. Design 5 greeting cards each month
7. Date...maybe (in progress)
8. Write a letter to one extra friend each month (eight)
9. Freelance for more publications (Lemondrop.com)
10. Dust off my SLR camera (done)
11. Take walks through the park with Toby (done)
12. Tell one person I love them every day...and mean it
13. Be of more service to others (forever in progress)
14. Have a sleepover filled with junk food and chick flicks
15. Host a cocktail party
16. Plant sunflowers in the spring
17. Cut my hair (done)
18. Explore watercolors (done)
19. Forgive (in progress)
20. Sign up for this and this again (done)
21. Eat, breathe and smile (done)
22. Remember it's not personal and let things go (in progress)
23. Speak up
24. Face three fears (one, two)
25. Be spontaneous (done)
26. Bake cupcakes (done)
27. Dress up for work (done)

So now I'm officially in my late twenties. I don't know what twenty-seven will bring, but I'm wishing for yummy goodness and smiles.

Image: thehausams.blogspot.com

17 comments :

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    I love your list. Good luck-I hope you accomplish it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweetie! What an inspiring list you have there. You'll need to let us know how you progress with getting things checked off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I can't wait to see the list as it evolves each year. I only wish I'd kept my lists in my 20's. Hope it is a SUPERB bday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Good luck with your list, looks like it will keep you busy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dropping by from SITS...

    happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 27th!

    Best of luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy, happy birthday! I LOVE your list, it will be a good year. and I had a march of dimes baby, so thanks, it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful list...keep it handy. :) Make a calendar...you can mark things off! Is that too organized? Probably. I can't even keep straight who has clean underwear to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Happy Birthday my girlfriend!!! May your new age will bring all the happiness and love that you deserve!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!!! Great list. I love speak up and face 3 fears and planting sunflowers.
    You are such a lovely person - inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so so much for the birthday wishes everybody! You're all so sweet. I'll definitely let you know how I progress with the list. So far I've yet to do #12...unless Toby counts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha... were planning on finding a different person each day to say i love you to? cause it might be hard to find 365 people that you like, let alone love

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no no. I don't even know that many people. P.S. I love you monkeybutt! Thanks for being such a great friend all these years. And seriously, when are hitting the karaoke bars with the third stooge?

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha... we're going to have to drag her out! plus i will only come if you both promise not to sing celine dion!!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.