Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cupcake Remedy

I originally had plans for yesterday: a hot date with my sister and cousin. They figured it'd be nice to spend V-day together after our love lives took such a beat down in '08. After the two lovebirds finished watching He's Just Not That Into You, we were to meet up for photos around town then swing by my place to make cupcakes and watch movies.

But I canceled. I was still fighting the flu and some sadness. When my sister dropped by to check in early on, she came bearing gifts. The fact that she'd be so thoughtful to come visit and put any effort into cheering me up really unleashed the waterworks and I just couldn't bring myself to open the bag. She left soon after and I just stayed home.

I did want company. I wanted to feel cheerful. I wanted to forget. Instead I crawled into bed and hid like I usually do.

Then I got up. I wrote. I walked Toby. I got some fresh air. And when my sister asked if I was sure I didn't want company hours later, I asked them to come.

So I kicked it into high gear, tidied up the house and ran out to the supermarket for groceries, yummy treats and supplies.

Because of course I didn't just want to make regular cupcakes on my first try. No, if we were going to do this we had to experiment! So in came grand ideas of multicolored layered spongy goodness and lo and behold they turned out awesome right off the bat. (We did make a safe batch just in case. We went ahead and decorated those with delicious toppings...and dead faces.)










We even made cutie-petutie Anti-Valentine's Day cupcake toppers with sweet sentiments like "Go Rot," "Kick Rocks," "Love Blows" and "Bite Me." And because we'd just finished watching a bootleg copy of Taken (right before diving into Identity), I came up with a personal fave: Taken (For a Fool). So with that I crossed number 26 off the list. I even took a shot at number 21 because there's just no way you can feel blue when cupcakes are present.

And I finally did open the gift bag. Inside was a whole lot of caring goodies and surprises that made me smile. I read her little love note right before I settled in for bed with her by my side...and I almost teared up all over again.

Oh, and P.S. The flu is gone.

15 comments :

  1. It was a successful day indeed... and I think you might of passed on that flu to me...this nose appears not to have a shut off valve lol...y la pelicula si no la vas a delvolver me la prestas un dia...im currently starting mine "Notting Hill"...yay for fams...lol love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear that things ended on a higher note. I think I need to find a girlfriend to make cupcakes with too...I'd love to put little "sayings" on flags too. Some days....oh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling better. That flu's some nasty crap to have. What a beautiful gift bag...

    Those cupcakes look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cupcakes are too cute! How in the world did you get them to be multicolored like that? Glad the day wasn't a total bust for you. It looks like you got a great gift bag. I love "Love Actually", it's one of my fave movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy! When you finish making the cake batter, divvy it up into different bowls depending on how many colors you're using. Then put a couple drops of food coloring into each. Next, layer small amounts of each colored batter into the pan, pop it in the oven and you're done :)

    I think we should go for colorful swirls next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey hey look at Dorkys the expert lol....maybe we should make a recipe for these and start Ramos-American Food tradition to pass on cus I know I aint got the Dominican part down yet ...i dunno about you lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I think we ALL know I've got nothing down in the kitchen.

    Except making crazy concoctions that actually turn out ok and passing them off as genius ideas. I'm just glad we didn't burn down the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the anti-Valentine's Day concept! (and I'm married, lol). But if I wasn't, I would be totally into that.

    Yeah, dreams are nice and all, but the ones I have when I'm actually asleep leave something to be desired lately. Last night I dreamed--ALL freaking night--about being at the dentist. I have no idea why. I much prefer my hovercraft daydream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dk a cpl drops of food coloring oti, lol

    you wanted to drop the whole thing in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go you!
    This sounds like so much fun, and now I'm really wanting to eat some of those cupcakes.
    I'm so glad you had fun in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet sister! I love the goodie bag. I also love the anti traditional things! Your cupcakes looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that sounds like a mighty fine day. And those cupcakes look divine!

    PS. Steaks are easier to prepare, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh, this sounds lovely or it ended up lovely. Those cupcakes look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Neruda, esta noche puede escribir los versos mas triste....ay Dios

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOl...the cupcakes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.