Saturday, February 14, 2009

Anti-V-Day


I was going to write a heartfelt post for today. On how I've been hosting this year-long pity party that began when Mr. First and I broke up last Valentine's Day. On the fact that 366 days have come and gone and it still hurts when I think about that night. But the thought of writing all that sadness out and have it read by the blissfully happy made me sick.

I could have written a time line of how this day has been the worst (save one year) starting from that third grade incident where I wrote a "Roses are red, violets are blue" card to a crush only to have it found and read out loud in front of the entire class. Luckily, I signed it as "Secret Admirer." Unfortunately, I'd asked the girl who sat next to him to put it in his book bag (I should also say she was my arch enemy's BFF). When the boy's best friend found and read it, she spilled the beans and I denied it. Soon I was crying, he was crying, my buddies were all saying it wasn't me (like they knew) and the blame was placed on a girl who had the misfortune of being in the bathroom at the time. Never again (except several more times).

I thought of doing a round-up of the funniest anti-Valentines I've received this past week. It wouldn't have been hard considering it was just two from Anonymous:

Thanks because what are best friends but people who remind you of how pathetic you both are?

I also considered passing on the same info I gave to my residents when I held my Anti-Valentine's Day program years ago. I handed out packets with info on its history, how to survive the day, top ten "good" things about Valentine's Day ("You can special-order candy hearts that say "Bite Me") and a slew of unfortunate cards. Did I mention that I won Best Programming several times during my 3.5 year career as an RA?

But the words just wouldn't come. Or maybe my heart just isn't really into it today. Hope you all enjoy yours.

Images: flickr.com, someecards.com

6 comments :

  1. Valentines day really doesn't do anything for me. A lot of people hate it and feel depressed on it, so you aren't alone.
    The rest of us are trying to hide and deny any feelings of sadness. Except the blissfully happy. Let's just shun/ignore/bully them, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stayed inside, by myself, all day, not even bothering to interact with others. Valentine's Day doesn't mean much to those of us who have no valentine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I are going to get along very, very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't celebrate it...so Happy Anti-Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.