Monday, February 2, 2009

The Singles Party

So the party actually went well. Sure when I got there all the girls were sitting in the living room and the guys were hanging out in the hallway, but it picked up after a while. I made good friends with the tortilla chips and pastelitos, but I also tried to semi-socialize (and yes, mocking was involved).

Twister did not make a cameo. You know what did? Singles Bingo. I actually stepped outside and came back as it was finishing so I had no chance of winning.

That is until it was time to play Suck and Blow. I’d never played it before so let me explain for those whose minds are rolling around in the gutter: The group stands in a circle and the goal of the game is to pass a card from mouth to mouth by only inhaling (to keep the card in place) and exhaling (to let it go to the next person). As the only person who did not drop the card, I was claimed the winner. It also means I was the only one who didn’t kiss a soul that night. I swear that competitiveness of mine is going to get me so far someday.

No biggie. No one caught my eye anyway (though it’s hard to do that when you’re not trying to look). I did notice that one guy was wearing Chucks so mental props went his way…right before some chick cornered him on the couch for the rest of the night. (Btw, maybe I should've brought along the business cards after all. Turns out said chick reads my work and spent a good 15 minutes talking to me about it.)

Also, I don’t know if it was the green ambient lighting or what, but I couldn’t really tell some of the guys apart. They seemed to be different manifestations of the same man: lively Dominican who likes to dance. I’m sure they have their differences, but I sure didn’t notice them or talk to any long enough to find out. The party was basically as diverse as Glamour’s cover girls (read: all the same) and it was exactly what I’d expected.

There was one guy Heidi and I talked to for a while, but that was because the three of us were trying to listen in on the love connection happening on the couch right next to him. Good times.

So that was that. No love connection and no numbers, but plenty of laughs. So what's next? Speed dating?

By the way, the chips were really good.

20 comments :

  1. The party was fun, more fun than I expected. Yay for lively Dominican men! If not for them it would have been a very boring night my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, too bad the only guy we talked to was a baby compared to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Converse sneakers. Get with the times dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt know Converse sneakers were Chucks. And yes, that guy was attacked lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Converse sneakers...geezz my frickin bad.. That guy had the softest lips ever. I kinda wanted another suck and blow round.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So was everyone supposed to drop the card "by mistake" and I just missed the memo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. I don't think so because I tried really hard not to drop the card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I tried to keep that card up, and didn't drop. But our little buddy to my right didnt do his job. It was pretty funny how not apologetic he was about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys wore Chucks in our wedding, with their suits. LOL Glad to hear that it wasn't a disastrous evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im *SO* glad you clarified about that game...

    Sounds like you had an ok-ish time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even thoug you didn't get any numbers, and didn't get kissed, it was probably more fun than staying at home all night, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps you should event something like Speed Chucking....

    ReplyDelete
  13. tooj, that sounds like an awesome idea. I totally see myself wearing a pair under my wedding dress...

    ladystyx, that's what I'm here for: to explain perverse sounding games.

    chicagolady, yeah it was nice getting out of the house on a Saturday night.

    intense guy, so does that entail putting on Converse sneaks at lightning speed or throwing out all the losers as quickly as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speed dating is fun if you go into it with no reservations or expectations. If you go just to mingle and chat--it's fun. I think if you go with that casual attitude, you'll be surprised at how relaxed you are which can open the door when you least expect it!

    I will say this, I went on a speed dating event and "matched" with a fella who was cute and very interesting. He said he was an antique sports dealer. I thought I'd look at his website. I googled his company and found his full name. It was then that I found out he was put in jail for writing bad checks as well as stealing identities.

    Thank God for google. I never talked to him again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. kelley, hey ex-cons need love too. Just not from us. And yes, google's good for things like fishing out the felons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooooooh, such good stuff. And whose idea was the green ambient lighting?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm...This sounds like fun! Suck and Blow? Also fun! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather, it sure wasn't mine.

    Stephanie, people really seemed to enjoy it that's for sure. Oh except for the girl who ran off and hid.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.