Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Plataeu

You know how sometimes you fight through the uphill climb, improving, growing, moving…and then you just level off? Not really climbing higher, but not rolling back either. You’re just at a standstill – going neither forward nor back.

That’s where I am.

It could be brief. A chance to catch your breath. A moment to look around and see how far you’ve come and how much further you’ve yet to go.

Or the plateau might linger for a while longer only disappearing once you’ve regained enough strength to keep going for the peak.

It could be those last few pounds you just can’t shed or getting comfortable in one position when you know you deserve so much better. But plateaus aren’t bad if you see them for what they are: a rest stop not the destination.

This break from my climb is one of the reasons why I haven't had a one-on-one session with T in over a month. Yes, the inexplicable anxiety comes and goes. The shortness of breath follows soon after and the rush and stress adds to it all. But I have been pretty ok. I want to figure things out on my own for a little bit and I know if things get too hard, she's only a call away.

Recently, I’ve been training myself to not create issues out of insignificant things. To learn that some people need drama in their lives and their behavior has absolutely nothing to do with me. With that in mind, I can let go, forgive and keep it moving with dwelling too much on it. It takes practice as old habits die very hard.

Maybe that in itself is me taking a step away from the plateau. But quite frankly, I don't mind the opportunity to check out the view.

Image: flickr.com

7 comments :

  1. I hope Tobi likes climbing and doesn't have a fear of heights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great line - it's a rest stop, not a destination. There are infinite directions to go....what fun life can be! :) I just two days ago decided to go on the road named "AngryMomB*tch Blvd" but yesterday? I made a left turn and ended up on "HappyWifey Lane". It's all about the turns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need to step back at some point...to make sure the direction we are going...is still the right one...or as with me...sometimes...I just need to take a breather...like you said....I take a lot of those lately....

    ReplyDelete
  4. intense guy, he probably would. Right now he's just a bundle of energy.

    tooj, happy to hear you took that detour. It's true, there are so many options and possibilities in life. You never know what's around the next corner.

    noah's mommy, yeah. It's nice to just stop for a bit. The constant going and going is exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I've been on a plateau for years, neither making my life better, nor making it worse. My problem is, I don't know which way to go next, so I've found it's safer to just stay where I'm at, where I'm comfortable. Only later will the regret come, when I look back and wonder why I didn't do something, anything different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. chicagolady, few things are worse than regret. To keep asking "what if" and wishing you had done or said it all when you had the chance.

    I understand where you're coming from though. I'm not a risk taker myself. I order the same exact meals at certain restaurants just because I don't want to go for something else and end up hating it!

    But settling and getting comfy just because you don't want to try something new isn't much fun. Sure things might not turn out better, but you won't know unless you try. If anything, you'll learn something new about yourself and your tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I read this a while back and wanted to comment.

    Sometimes the plateau - stopping to rest and catch your breath - can be so worthwhile and important to the rest of the journey. Good for you.

    I hope you're enjoying the view.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.