Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Things Women Will Do

Today was my first wax appointment. After trying on the two bikinis I bought for next week's trip to DR, I realized I should just go for it. My coworker swore by a woman named Lee over at Acqua Beauty Bar so I took her word for it and booked it.

So for the past few days I've been thinking about how painful it's going to be and dreaming up every possible horror scenario: getting burned, feeling uncomfortable, yelling so loudly that everyone outside will hear me. This morning I even considered canceling altogether. But I popped in two aspirins and decided to try it once so I could at least have a legitimate reason to never do it again. Still, my palms were sweaty once I arrived at the spa.

Now I cannot say how awesome Lee was in there! I told her it was my first time and she was incredibly nice. She told me exactly what to expect, which areas would hurt a bit more and was so fast I was done in ten minutes tops! For some reason, I felt completely at ease with her and actually laughed - not cried - through the waxing. And talking to her was a lot more comfy than talking to my gyno.

As for the pain, it was nowhere near as bad as I imagined it would be. When she removed the cloth strip, it hurt for that split second and then the pain went away. There were only a couple instances where the pain lingered and she'd warned me that would happen (I pretty much cursed in my head and had to remember to breathe at that point). Lee even explained what I should and shouldn't do for the next few days and that it should last for at least a month (score!).

All in all, it went really well. I didn't hobble out of there (like I thought I would) and went skipping off to enjoy the rest of the beautiful afternoon counting down the days til my beach getaway!

And seriously, this so counts as a fear.

So what do you think of waxing? Yay? Or no way?

Image: askmen.com

11 comments :

  1. Hmm...that's a toughie. I've never gotten it done before, but don't oppose it, really.

    Glad to hear it went so well. Ah, you two will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for it! :)

    And for guys too, that have lots of back hair (which I am lucky not to have).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girlfriends and I were just chatting about this! Hmm, might have to give it a whirl, ahem or a rip.

    Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your post painted a new picture for me...it's all in how it's done.

    I've done it before and OH LORD! Did it hurt! But if I would have had a conversation like yours & someone who was careful--it may have gone better.

    I am glad that you had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd have the guts. Let me rephase, I DON'T have the guts...period. You're a brave one, Dorky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very brave! I am glad it wasn't as scary as you thought it would be, though!

    I hope you have an awesome trip! Make sure you post lots of pictures when you get back for those of us who are home bored! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i wish i was as brave as you. i don't think i could do it. but i'm glad yours was a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your site on the Secret's in the Sauce and love it :) I am very jealous you're going on a tropical retreat but am glad to hear your waxing experience went smooth (no pun intended!) I tried it out for myself a while ago (the whole shebang) and NEVER again will I do that! Maybe I am just too big of a baby :) hehe enjoy your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your experience and hearing my best friend's experience makes it a less scary thought. I'm fortunate enough to not be like Miranda in SATC movie.....but one day...I might be bold enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you did it, and every day you don't have to shave I bet you will be glad for those 10 minutes of pain. I'm all for waxing and keeping everything trim. I believe it's hygienic plus I think it looks damn good bald. Okay tmi but the hubby likes it so there. I wish there were more reputable places here that would do it tho.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a low tolerance for pain, so I'm not sure I could ever do it. But perhaps if I was bribed and had such a glowing reference, I might try it. Once.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.