Sunday, April 26, 2009

March for Babies

Today was the March of Dimes' 5K walk to raise awareness and funding to help sick and premature babies. Thousands showed up at Lincoln Center on 62nd Street early this morning, marched through Central Park and down Lexington Avenue all the way to Madison Square Park on 23rd.

These walks always pull at my heart strings. Moms and dads walking for their children. Babies are pushed along in carriages with signs that say, "I walk for my twin." Families with homemade shirts in honor of another little angel. People cheering us along and the magnitude of our efforts bouncing around us as we pass under bridges in the park. I don't know what it's like to lose a child and I hope I never have to. That's why I walk.

Too bad I'm missing out on next week's Revlon Run/Walk for Women because I'll be away. But I'll be there next year.



































7 comments :

  1. This is incredible and how great that you march.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity walks are the best!! A lot of work--but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agrees with the previous comments completely.

    And you got the bonus of walking through all the sights and sounds of busy Gotham City too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a worthy cause! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ay, the idea of losing a baby, God forbid, that can drive a person insane.

    But, very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These walks are a great showing of people who "get it" when it comes to compassion. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that you walked for such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.