Friday, August 29, 2008

The Things My Parents Taught Me List

"My mother always said..."
"My father would tell me..."

How many times haven't we heard that from our own parents? How many words of wisdom have been passed along in this way from one generation to the next? And though you might have rolled your eyes when that quote was coming, you couldn't help but retain some for your own use.

And then there were those lessons that were never spoken; those you learned just by watching them. Seeing how they live(d) their lives, how they interact(ed) with the people around them and what their hopes were.

These are things you'll carry with you, like a torch, to light the way of those who'll come after you.

The Things My Parents Taught Me List
  • "You can be a millionaire, but if you have no friends you're still poor."
  • "You're #1 so take care of yourself first. If you don't, then how can you care for somebody else?"
  • "Your body is like a car. You have to fill up the tank, take it in for a tune-up and check the oils."
  • Always give back when you have the chance.
  • Never stop learning.
  • In order to get respect, you must give respect.
  • Smile, laugh, eat, play, enjoy life

5 comments :

  1. you shouldve labeled this one, that things my FATHER taught me AKA Daddy-isms. cuz i cant pinpoint one of these to our dear madre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On that note please please please go read "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao."
    Its AMAZING! And yes its about family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah well, she does make it a point to give back to those have less in D.R....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ay don't even get me started on that! but yes, yes tienes razon i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, you sound so reluctant to give her credit for any good that she's done. I know she's been one tough person to grow up with (clearly I go see T to undo most of what she taught me), BUT you can also learn from your parents by seeing how they are and striving to do the EXACT OPPOSITE!

    So what else have you learned? There's no way my list is a complete collection of daddy-isms.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.