Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Former Flames 101

So while I've been waiting for The Last Lecture to get to me, I started reading another book titled Things I've Learned From Women Who've Dumped Me. In it a number of comedic writers (including dear ol' Stephen Colbert) explain what it is they learned from their failed relationships. Although some are hilarious, others fall flat, and a couple are striking a chord with me, it got me thinking nonetheless: what have I learned from my past relationships? Mind you there's only been one and a half (one barely counted), but if everything is a learning experience, then did I grasp the lesson? Let's see:

I learned that no man should make you feel dumb. Even if he is in law school and you're barely making it through media law (though in my defense that class was hellishly boring).

I learned that it's ok to let my guard down even if there's the risk of getting hurt in the end. What truly hurts afterwards is the regret of not having given it your all when you had the chance.

And I learned that worrying whether a perfectly good relationship will last or not will turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just because my parents had a botched up one doesn't mean I will.

I'm still in the process of learning from the last one since it's the first meaningful one I've had and in turn the hardest one to let go. I'll see if I discover anything else about myself when I go visit him and see his family and friends this weekend. Is it a good or a bad thing? I have no idea. But I'm going nonetheless because I'm that hard-headed. What happens next is simply up in the air and when it comes all I can do is learn from that too.

So what have you guys learned from your past significant others?

4 comments :

  1. oy vey to you going this wknd, pero i know enough that when you (ppl in general) want to really do something, no advice in the world can keep you from what you originally planned on doing.

    me? i learned that i am not a fling person. i get attached and it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve learned that there’s nothing better than a guy who truly gets you. Who understands how your mind works and who can look at you and say “you’re insane” when you’re acting insane.

    I’ve learned that words aren’t necessary; sometimes just having him reach over and hold your hand while he’s driving and you’re sitting next to him can mean more than saying “I love you”.

    I’ve learned that you shouldn’t care what anyone says, if the person is good to you and makes you happy and does not put you in danger then go ahead and be with him. Whoever doesn’t like it can look the other way. Your real friends will support your decision.


    Ok, I want to go kill myself now. Bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Heidiiiii. Ugh, now I miss him all over again. *Sigh* Que amargue...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've learned que la que esta buena soy yo.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.