Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm Just Not That Into the Movie


The highly anticipated chick flick He's Just Not That Into You opened last night and I'm sure countless girls rushed to see it and take notes.

I think I'll pass on this one.

See I actually read the book three years ago (almost exactly to the day) and, of course, it made me over analyze and read way too much into one guy's actions. It proved to be nothing but trouble.

The back story:

I dated someone else in grad school before Mr. First. Someone who introduced me to the dating scene and lasted a month and a half. We met when I wasn't expecting it while out with my friends. One thing led to another and before I knew it, he was driving my friends and me back to campus. Turned out he was also a student, a couple years older and in his final year of law school.

He dropped me off last even though he passed by my building to take the others home (and even though I said, "Hey, that's my building" while my not-so-subtle friends motioned for me to shut up). We exchanged numbers and he threw all "rules" out the window by calling me the following night (on Super Bowl Sunday) instead of waiting the "mandatory three days."

The Lawyer and I made preliminary plans to go out to dinner the following Saturday and of course the nerves rolled in as the days passed by. He said he'd call later in the week to set something more concrete, but when Friday came and I still hadn't heard from him I figured I was bound to be stood up. Why? Because I'd started reading that book!

"Oh well clearly he's not into me! Clearly! What was I even thinking? I haven't heard from him in x number of days, which obviously means this, that and the third. And now that Mars has gone into retrograde and has aligned with Jupiter I have no chance!"

You get the point. Total craziness (because obviously he'd have to be a fool to pass this up).

I went out Friday night convinced I'd never hear from The Lawyer again. Mr. First even told me to forget that guy when I told him that he'd probably be a no-show. I thought he was just saying it to make me feel better. Little did I know it was because he liked me too. (Remember when I was totally clueless??)

Anywho, the truth? The Lawyer had gotten food poisoning and, in the hopes that he'd get better, was waiting until the last moment before calling (early Saturday) and canceling. I let myself get sucked into that nonsense.

So I have no desire to see that movie. I don't want to think about a certain other someone not being into me.

Especially not a week before the day you-know-what happened.

Image: slashfilm.com

10 comments :

  1. oh my gosh, i was just taking a break from writing what will be a fairly long-winded schpeel about how i saw and hated this movie.
    how funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so will the movie NOT be funny? I like stupid date girly flicks. Hmmm. You and Blythe are bumming me out. LOL What are you doing home on a Saturday night anyhow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. blythe, can't wait to read you review!

    tooj, hey just because I'm young doesn't mean I always need to act like it. I'm relaxing at home with some candles and listening to some soothing music with Toby. And someone's totally ruining by blasting that darn noise. Kids these days I'm telling ya. Humbug.

    Good thing it's almost 10:30. That means it's bedtime!

    Man I'm so lame...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are NOT lame. I stayed at home a lot...LOL I do detest neighbors who play their music loudly. There has to be a way to pad the walls better, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to skip it if it's gonna bring up raw emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read bits and pieces of the book and it's total bs. I think the movie would be cute, but you have to take it with a large grain of salt. It's like Cosmopolitan - every guy who's seen me read has told me that what they print is total bs, however it doesn't stop me from reading it from time to time, I just don't take what I read to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you are sooo right about this!!!

    I think this book has helped many women in a relationship, but also has confused and troubled many others at the same time.

    I mean, why do you want to categorize men? I think it's good to learn there is some options, but totally listen to what it says in the book and act on it? That is not good...

    I love this post and I also wrote a post about this movie tonight:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer Connelly did a great job in this movie, as usual

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think all the book wanted to show was that actions speak louder than words.

    Sometimes women make too many excuses for men. My dad always tells me that, when a man wants you it's easy to tell, because he shows you he does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this movie should have capitalized on that book ages ago. I don't know why it took so long to come out. I suspect it's because it isn't that good of a movie.

    I don't think I'll be seeing that movie either.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.