Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sex and the City 2

Dear God where do I even begin with this one...

"It was a complete waste of time and money" would be a good way I guess. I cannot recall a movie that had me so bored and disinterested while watching. Embarrassment even crept over me for the people involved in this film, those who found an ounce of entertainment within it and my pathetic self for agreeing to go see it.

Sex and the City 2 presents our four aging ladies two years after the last installment and yet it seems like no time has passed by to them. Although their lives have changed somewhat, they still run around as if they were 30-year-olds, chasing glitz and Cosmos with the youngens. If you thought it was impossible, prepare to be impressed: Carrie surpasses her level of annoyance here. You'd think that finally catching the man she'd been chasing all those years would make her happy, but alas! The woman wants to hit the town while Big wants to stay home together and eat -gasp!- take-out. She wants "sparkle" in their lives while he's perfectly happy watching old black-and-white movies and snuggling in bed. She gets on her hubby's case over his feet on the couch so often that by the time she asks Big, "Is it because I'm a bitch wife who nags you?" after he suggests space between them, you just want to yell out "YES!"

As for the other women: Samantha is on the brink of menopause and fighting it with every pill/food/lotion she can find. Miranda up and decides to quit her job at the firm after her boss has trouble listening to an empowered woman. (Kudos to her for finally shedding her high-strung persona and just chilling out. It was long overdue.) And knee-deep in diapers and toddler tantrums, Charlotte's having a hell of a time maintaining that cheery disposition of hers. After Samantha comments on her nanny's reluctance to keep her big boobs in check, Charlotte's obsessive/jealous ways emerge.

When Samantha scores the girls an all-expenses-paid trip to Abu Dhabi, their corny nonsense continues in the Middle East (Warning: a karaoke scene is included). Now, if someone found the plot to this film please let me know because to me it just seemed to be a succession of lavish scenes. In fact, Sex and the City 2 would have been better served as a slideshow with captions; the "dialogue" only popped in as filler between shots of luxurious locales and fashion spreads. I mean, did they really need to change twice just to ride a pair of camels? (In heels no less!) Better yet, did a camel toe joke need to happen?

I will say this, I semi-appreciated the mom heart-to-heart-over-cocktails when Miranda finally got Charlotte to vent. That could very well have been the only "real" moment in the entire movie. When Carrie committed a relationship faux pas overseas, my heart came back from the flatline. "Finally!" I thought, "Something might actually happen here." But don't get your hopes up, kids. At the end of the day, this was just a serious letdown that couldn't end soon enough. And might I point out that there was barely any sex and there was hardly any city? That alone earns this negative toasties.

Sex and the City 2: 1.5/5 Toasties



Image:
eonline.com

15 comments :

  1. Dang I am hearing more and more negative reviews about the film then positive ones. I have yet to see it and at this rate I may make it a Redbox free monday's code.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that this movie was absolutely horrible. Such a disappointment. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was seriously disappointed too. I'm a HUGE SATC fan and felt this was just such a letdown after the 1st movie and the amazing series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah... I didn't understand Carrie's "problem" with staying home, watching movies, and eating take-out. Those are some of my favorite nights. And getting a ring seemed like a reward for cheating. Who does that?!? I wasn't AS disappointed in the movie as you were, but I do agree with a lot of your points. I guess I didn't expect a lot going into it and I was entertained, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read all the bad reviews, but I will probably still watch it when it comes out on dvd. I just want to see Aiden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear your review because I was starting to think there was something wrong with my funny bone. Everyone I talk to loves it and when I go on about how idiotic it was they seem upset! :O

    I did like the scene with Miranda and Charlotte. It was one of the only ones that reminded me of the show, aka when SATC was actually well written. The camel toe joke was the worst. I also hated the scene at the end with Samantha causing a scene. It seemed so disrespectful to a different culture. If you travel somewhere most people are not going to make it a point to make an idiot out of yourself. What happened to "When in Rome do as the Romans do"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of being a critic so I'm rarely overly thrilled OR disappointed in movies. I watch them for entertainment and rarely think beyond what they give me. I don't get my hopes up and I'm good. So all in all, I'm with Ashley on this one. I was entertained ENOUGH, but definitely liked the first one better.

    Maybe I'm just a crass old broad, but I didn't have a problem with the camel toe joke. I liked the well-placed pun. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a camel toe joke? This might make this movie a must see for me.

    Just kidding. No hate emails please... :)

    I'm just sorry that this movie, much anticipated, wasn't as good as it should have been. I know a lot of you were counting down the days for it.

    Abu Dhabi seems like a really bizzare place for this foursome to go... I picture London or Paris easily... but Abu Dhabi???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of the series, so it's not like I'd go and watch this, but it's refreshing to see a review along the lines of what I've been thinking. When will these ladies every grow up? It's kinda like movies like Old School, except with women.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Corny nonsense, LOL I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never got into this at all. I tried to watch one episode, once, and was totally turned off. Lots of hoopla over this one though!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't have said it better myself.

    Was sooo looking forward to this one & feel totally cheated, after finally watching it 2 days ago :(

    Loved the fashion, but the plot was non-existent and every character somehow felt like a caricature of its good old self.

    Just goes to say the days of "milking" the series' huge success are finally over...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the series. It was smart, witty, and often had heart. But, I'm with you on this movie. That karaoke scene was unbearable. I found myself looking away and staring at my popcorn. There were certainly some funny bits and I liked that scene at the bar in the hotel room with Miranda and Charlotte too, but all in all it wasn't what I came to expect from this show.

    Great review. You're good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen either movie or any of the TV shows (gasp, I know!) but I really enjoyed reading your review of SATC2. You are a great writer!

    Also, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a really nice comment. I appreciate it. You are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad I'm not the only one who just didn't get this movie. It was WAY too long... the best thing about it was the costuming.

    I didn't feel the whole trip to Abu Dhabi. The men were totally left out of this one (save Big)...

    You're right though... the chat over drinks between Charlotte and Miranda left me (myself a mom of two) wanting to cheer "right on sister!"

    This movie seriously lacked substance. I am a HUGE fan of the show. I hope if they do a third movie it actually has a story.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.