Monday, June 7, 2010

Productivity and Pomodoros


I'm on deadline again this week and today I've got quite the ambitious to-do list. With three stories due by Friday (including my break into another national woman's magazine!), I really can't afford to waste much time even though procrastination runs through my veins.

A couple weeks back I read about The Pomodoro Technique which works under the concept that breaking up tasks and time into 25-minute-long chunks with breaks in between will increase your productivity. After every little pomodoro - or tomato in italiano - completed, you get a five minute break and then a longer one after four pomodoros. All you really need is a timer and a piece of paper to chart your progress, but mytomatoes.com makes it really easy to track how much you've accomplished in a day.

I've yet to make it past four consecutive pomodoros, but hopefully today I'll be able to focus for a nice chunk of time before the ADD tendencies kick in. Oh, and my reward for being good? A movie date to see Iron Man 2 tonight. (But let's face it, I'll still be going even if I'm bad.)

Image: pomodorotechnique.com

5 comments :

  1. Congratulations on breaking into a new magazine! Looking forward in reading the article.

    And yes, I've seen this Pomodoros thing all over the place recently. Let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in being good!!! I'm a procrastinator too - so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds logical to me... A five minute break to clear your mind, then back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)

    Enjoy the movie... we'll want to see a toast count review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've never quite understood the whole reward yourself with shopping or something. I would always do it anyway! No need for punishment, right?!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.