Monday, June 21, 2010

How Was Your Weekend?

I approached the weekend without any plans in mind...until Friday 5 PM when A. suggested we rent a car Saturday morning and just drive up to Boston for the day to catch the Dodgers v Red Sox game. "That would be absolutely crazy," I said. "Let's do it."

Friday

We had dinner at Republic down in Union Square - a noodle restaurant A. referred to as "the college kid's version of Momofuku." My wonton broth noodles were amazing with tasty shrimp, pork and veggie wontons, glass noodles and a bunch of delicious greens. A. kept saying I just added two extra days to my life with every spoonful of what was easily the most satisfying meal I'd had all week. And the Asian basil lemonade was so refreshing after finishing a big bowl of soup.

With our tummies full, we walked across the street to Union Square Park. The night felt perfect: breezy with a nearly-half-full moon illuminating the sky, fireflies, voices and music floating in the air. You know that crazy feeling of happiness that swells your heart and leaves you without knowing what to do with yourself so you just sit and stare at this person with a goofy smile on your face hoping that just for a moment time would simply stop? As we sat on a bench, his fingers wrapped around mine and my head nestled on his shoulder, I realized yet again that this is how I feel whenever I'm with him.

Then a damn smoker sat down next to us and lit our romantic moment on fire.

Saturday

A. and I picked up our rental car early in the morning and set off to Boston. He was looking forward to his first drive along the east coast and we were both excited about our first trip together and finally catching a game at Fenway Park. It was so much fun and hilarious at times, but it wasn't all peaches:

- Never has the difference in our music preferences been more apparent than it did during the nine or so hours we spent in the car. Every time I found a song I could sing along to on the radio, it would be met with a "This is stupid." I think the man needs to lower his standards a bit.

- Our GPS kept wanting to get stolen by taking us through the sketchy back hoods of Boston. Hearing A. go off on "her" ("Recalculate this, b*+¢#!") was worth it though.

- The Dodgers lost at the bottom of the ninth (still a great game!), it was blazing hot and we were dead tired on our drive back, but you know what? I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. We got to travel together and have a mini getaway adventure. We embraced spontaneity and experienced new things together. And even when we were tired and cranky we managed to get home (and find parking) without biting each other's head off.

A sign of the trip's success? The next morning A. said, "So I'm thinking in the fall we rent a car, drive up to, say, Vermont to watch the leaves change colors and then stay at a small bed and breakfast. Would you like that?" Love.

Sunday

The car had to be back by 9 AM so once again we were up and out early. We kept the weekend's spontaneous spirit going by grabbing breakfast at an Upper East Side creperie I'd been wanting to check out all week. Details on that shop to come, but it was so yummy, I can't wait to go back! We spent the rest of the day resting and recuping and every now and then I'd smile and say, "We went to Boston yesterday..."

11 comments :

  1. That sounds wonderful, and how great that you can spontaneously go off and have fun together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those crepes looks AMAZING! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds absolutely amazing. Nothing like a good adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Saturday! The only way I'd love it more is if I had known so I could have met you in Boston! And your frizz looks gorgeous in the sun! My hair gets that way too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kristy, yes, I'm very lucky to have someone who pushes me to be more spontaneous.

    r, and they tasted as yummy as they look. But as good as mine was, it took everything within me not to grab A.'s crepe and shove it down my throat. With bananas, marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs and nutella, I think his came out waaay better than mine! I know what I'm getting next time ;)

    mj, it was so much fun. I can't wait for the next adventure wherever it may be!

    jen, oh I'm sorry for the missed opportunity! I used to go there a couple times a year when my sister went to BU, but I hadn't been back since she graduated two years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great weekend. I'm glad you both enjoyed, and that you managed to make it there and back without biting each other's heads off.


    Hubby and I have very different tastes in music too, but we get through it by just ignoring it when the other moans about the "stupid song" that's playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous weekend you had. That wonton soup sounds delish.

    And A. is already thinking about a fall trip! You are a lucky girl. If we go anywhere, I am always the planner. ...and if something doesn't go perfectly, it's my fault too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would think A would just sit there and enjoy your singing...

    :)

    Damn smokers... *grumbles*

    ReplyDelete
  9. *dittos iggy's damn smokers comment*

    What a way to ruin a wonderfully romantic moment.

    What a great trip though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those spontaneous trips are splendid. Continue to indulge and enjoy before any little DR baby comes into your life. Not that you can't be spontaneous with a baby, but it's just "different". :) Speaking from experience. Hubs and I enjoyed a nice road trip to Denver the weekend before we found out TO was on his way. It was a great memory and one we can't wait to do again, once babies are weaned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first ball game was at Fenway Park...I grew up in a suburb of Boston. Fun!!! Sounds like things are going great with you & A. Wedding bells in the air??

    ReplyDelete

Say word.