Thursday, August 26, 2010

DIY Holder from Origami Paper Sacks

It should come as no surprise that my advent calender is still hanging in my hallway - I mean I didn't even bother putting my Christmas tree away 'til end of May - but because I put work into those cute paper sacks, I didn't want to just throw them away. Cue my creative ingenuity and behold, a mini paper container to hold treats, office supplies and other miscellaneous goodies.

First, you'll need to make a few origami sacks. They're super simple to make and you can use any kind of paper you'd like. I made mine out of magazine pages that were roughly 8.5" x 11".

For one container, grab three sacks and some double-sided tape. Mine are numbered because they served as a calendar, but obviously you can decorate yours any way you choose. Or not. Whatev.

Push in the bottom of each sack to open them up and give each compartment room to hold your little things.
'You see how they fit neatly into each other? Each compartment should have two straight edges that touch the other two sacks and a slightly-curved outer edge.

Place some double-sided tape along the top of the straight edges and stick the three sacks together.

Et voilĂ ! You've got a three-compartment holder that'll stand up quite nicely on your desk.

You can tuck in sticky notepads, tea bags, candy, little messages or any other treats that help you get through the day. Or you can give one out as a thoughtful gift for a friend. On Monday, I made an "I'm sorry" one for A. with bite-sized Butterfingers and mini cupcakes wrapped and tied with a charm. Then we kissed and made up.

P.S. I was originally going to attempt this newspaper gift bag, but then realized that I didn't have any papers in the house. Thank the Internet.

P.P.S. How cute is this tiny bag from envelopes and decorative tape?!

9 comments :

  1. Ut oh... "double sided tape" and me don't get along... I'd be taped to the bag and the chair and the table and ....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well in that case I'm sure a glue stick would work just as well. Or pieces of one-sided tape along that top ridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'm totally going to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm great at following directions, but not so great at thinking things up in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are so cute, and such a cool idea, I'm definitely going to try it. And I've been completely distracted by the blog you link us all too, there are so many cool crafty things :)

    L x
    Half Dressed

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!! My daughter would love this - she's always up for a "project!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have been crafty like you for the past 12 weeks, but no. I was lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woman, this took two minutes tops. Don't ask me what I wasted the rest of my summer on cause it'd go a little something like this: sleep, eat, see bf, walk dog, hang out, sleep, eat, see bf, walk dog, hang out, oh is there a deadline on the way?

    ReplyDelete

Say word.