Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How Did You Two Meet?

During our California weekend, A.'s family kept asking us how he and I met and I realized that I never really went into detail on that here. Sure I quickly mentioned him after attending a NYC meet-up for 20 Something Bloggers at Fat Cat back in December, but did you know that I was thisclose to walking out before A. came up to me?

I headed to the bar without a clue as to what anyone else looked like. I'd left a comment on the meet-up thread telling the other attendees to look out for a short curly-haired chick with a green jacket and hoped someone would recognize me. Only I get to the place and it's unbelievable crowded. So after making a couple rounds, beer in hand, and even daring to ask one group if they were a part of 20SB (yeah, um, they weren't), I sat at the bar, wishing I could e-mail the only person who knew I'd be there and feeling like a total loser cause I sure as hell wasn't going to ask anymore people if they were part of some social network for nerds. "I'll give this 10 more minutes and then I'm out," I thought.

And there I sat trying to look super cool while forcing myself to drink a giant glass of nasty beer when this tall, thin, geeky-looking guy came up to me and asked, "Are you here for the 20SB meet-up?"

"OMG YES!! THANK GOD!"

Ok, in my defense, I was sitting ALONE at a bar where I knew NO ONE for like, I dunno, 15 whole minutes! This was my salvation right here. Turns out the man recognized me, but we weren't able to recognize anybody else who attended that night (although A. could have totally lied just so he could have me to himself, that sneaky trickster) so we spent the entire time chatting it up about an endless stream of randomness and having a great time. I only wanted to leave when I realized it was getting harder to keep my eyes open. So we took the train together where I quipped, "Damn kid, you're mad tall," exchanged e-mails and took off running from there. We'd e-mail back-and-forth for hours and it took less than three days for me to realize that this guy was going to be trouble. A very good kind of trouble.

So that's our story. What's yours? How did you meet your current significant other? Juicy stories from the past are also welcome ;)

UPDATE: Check out this post on 20SB's blog!

Image: limpidd.deviantart.com

19 comments :

  1. That's a sweet story. Mine's kind of boring. We are both social misfits of a sort who met via an online dating site, though we got lucky in finding out that we lived pretty close to each other and had lots in common including (sort of) a last name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left out that "brilliant smile" in your description... that would have worked.

    :)

    I'll tell my "how we met" story when I meet someone - I'm sure it will be ... different, like "I met her in the depends aisle of the local drug store. I was fresh out of them, so I decided to stock up on a big super economy size lot of them, and the store clerk looked at me and said, 'Sir, why to you have to ball caps on?' and I'll say, 'I do? Oh.. so that's where it went!'"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is kind of a "it was meant to be" story.

    My story is ancient history... It was 1957 and we went to Kindergarten together. He followed me home from school one day (seriously!). We hooked back up at a high school dance (went to different high schools) and have been together ever since.

    Iggy cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe how cute! I dated his best friend in HS and he was a year older so I never saw him again then when I turned 21 a friend and I went out and ran into my ex and we all started hanging out again. for the next 5-6 years we have all been super close and seen eachother go through all kinds of stuff. Then one christmas party (I was upset about a boy) I decided to make my move, that didnt work LOL. but we started talking and hanging out more and he asked me out to mini golf as soon as I broke it off with a guy I had been seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! That's such a great story!

    I met my BF through an old co-worker, but it turns out that we have all kinds of crazy connections that go back to our grade school days. We have some mutual friends and were very likely at many of the same events throughout our high school years. Such a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that was such a nice story!! Mines pretty boring we met through a mutal friend at uni, liked each other but never actually told each other, until we drunkenly kissed on a night out! 2 and a half years later we're still together :)

    L x
    Half Dressed

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats a lovely story! and amazing that you met as part of a blogging meet-up- i guess blogs can come in handy sometimes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like such a geek when I tell our story, but I love it all the same. Funny thing is, since he and I met, I rarely visit that site anymore. I guess it's served its purpose :p

    And you guys have some good ones too! I always enjoy a good "high school sweethearts" story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, how cute and geeky! *lol* Hubby and I met in high school. He liked my friend for about 5 hours until he saw me. Seriously! =) He had asked a mutual friend to slip a note to BFF. Then in the cafeteria (before mutual friend could pass the note), he saw me and asked mutual friend to change the name on the note! Bwahahaha! I can't believe I married that dude after that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was babysitting for a woman who he was dating through the net. He called, she was out, I wasn't. We got to talking and then became friends. Then things didn't work between them, and we got to be closer friends. Then I decided it was smart to fly half way across the world on my own to meet him (yeah, stupid move, but I was 18 years old... *Shrugs*) 5 months later I moved to Canada, a month later we got married. Then we came back to Wales 6 months later. And now we've been married 7 years.

    That's the short version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started working at our college library in September of 08 and he started there months later in March. I never saw him as anything more than a coworker, but I vividly remember looking fwd to the days we worked together. We'd have great conversations and time would fly by until his shift was over and I was rushing him off so he wouldn't be late to class. We'd linger after work, visit after class, or on off days and talk some more, but still I didn't consider or realize that I may have been developing feelings for him. The main reason I went thru our first date was bc many friends and family (ahem Dariany) encouraged me to give it a shot. I guess I was still in denial or something. Lo and behold, a year and change later here we are. Definitely made working at the library a little more interesting, lol

    P.S. don't feel like a geek. I frequently make him recite the story of us to me. I love it bc it's so funny to hear what was running thru his mind about me and me being oblivious (according to him I was in denial). I'll never tire of hearing it, but I think the whole reciting it is getting on his nerves, so I try to request it a little more sparingly pa k no me mate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont have any cute stories but im glad to be part of Dama's awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tori, you are brave! I don't think my dignity/ shyness would let me travel so far for a boy. The farthest I've gone is a four-hour drive for a first date/ weekend with Mr. First and even that was completely out-of-character for me. Good for you for making that move though!

    Dama, is it bad that I LOVE telling our story? In California, he started telling his mom, but he was telling it sooo slowly that I grew impatient and ran through the thing in like 30 seconds. I don't even remember if I breathed through it.

    And kudos to Dariany for smacking some sense into you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! This is GREAT! Mind if we re-posted this on the 20SB blog? Shoot me an email at derek@20sb.net - we have a hunch there are others out there and this is a very sweet story:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw that is such a cute story, LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so very cute! I guess fate really brought the two of you together. My boyfriend and I met in Astrophyics class, which is amazing considering the class was filled with all young undergrads. I was working on a second Bachelor's and he was on route to a Masters. It was science at first sight (the love came later).

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh, how sweet. and so brave of you to go to a blogger meet-up (in a bar, no less!). i would be too scared to go by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great story to tell your future grandchildren. :)

    My hubby and I met in college...at a car wash event for a club that we both belonged in. But we didn't start dating until years later after school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I met mine in a chatroom ;)Something just drew us together. I stopped in Texas for a week during my trip in 2003 to see if what my heart was telling me was right (and it was). We married in 2006. If I'd been available when I first arrived, I'm sure we would have eloped 3 days after we met. However, there are ALOT of Padded Room entries between then and the wedding.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.