Friday, April 16, 2010

DIY Teeny Little Scrolls

I hadn't done anything crafty since my Christmas ornaments so when I was home sick this week, I decided to work out those creative muscles again. Inspired by this mini message in a bottle tutorial and a wish to do something sweet for A.'s trip to Japan, I came up with these cute teeny scrolls.

You'll need:
- round toothpicks (snip off the ends so no one gets stabbed, just make sure they're all even)
- double-sided tape
- strips of colorful paper (I cut mine into 1 inch-wide strips. It's also best if the paper is plain on one side so the person can read your message easily.)
- thin string
- brads, charms, tags or anything else you'd like to attach to your scroll

I'm a perfectionist so I like to lay everything out on a gridded mat. Place the paper strip design side down and space two toothpicks above the strip's ends. Cut a piece of tape just slightly shorter than the paper's width (so you don't have any sticky tape showing once the paper's attached) and tape it around the middle of each toothpick.

Wrap each end of the paper around the middle of each toothpick, pressing down with your fingernail to make sure it sticks well. Write out your message (or how about an inspirational quote?) on the plain side of the paper.

Slowly and tightly roll in each end of the scroll simultaneously until they reach the center. Wrap string around the middle, slip on a charm and then tie it up.




















I had these tiny paper bag embellishments just hanging around and they were perfect for these miniature scrolls! I wrote A.'s goodbye note on origami paper, slipped it into a red bag and he took it along on his trip :)

And I might be way too early for this, but I think I have an idea for this year's holiday ornaments. (And yes, my Christmas tree is still up!)

21 comments :

  1. Those are absolutely adorable! Mentally filing it away for some future use :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! Never would have thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' this! What a great idea. I wish I had a bit more of your perfectionism in my blood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really the crafty or creative type but I find this idea wonderful! And quite simple as well. Even I could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the step by step, I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those are awesome :D i wanna try this out for myself!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This are fantastically cute!
    Way to go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable! Do you REALLY still have your tree up? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally loving this idea! I think I am going to adapt this for my daughter's fairy tale party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really cute! You could use them as a card topper, too, for something like a graduation... (just thinking out loud!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. jenny, you call it awesome, I call it laziness.

    jlw, cute! Hope it turns out well :)

    rachel, now that's a great idea! I'm trying it out on the next batch I make...whenever I get around to that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so cute, I could spank them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable scrolls. And the beauty is that you can do many mixes and matches on the colors and themes.

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! They turned out great!

    I am so behind on reading this week! I just saw the kitten video. So freaking cute! Gabe and I have been wanting a kitten, but Barkley would have a serious problem with that!

    BTW stop by when you get a chance. I awarded you the Sunshine Award.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cute! They would make a great little gift for a baby shower! I might link to these from www.chiccheapnursery.com

    And thanks so much for visiting me on my SITS day! I'm your newest follower and I hope you'll stop by again soon.

    http://www.thewannabewahm.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute. What a darling idea.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. came back to tell you I linked to his post. here is the link: http://www.chiccheapnursery.com/2010/do-it-yourself/tiny-little-scrolls-diy-baby-shower-souvenirs/

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so creative and intuitive! I just love them! What a great idea for a party favor! Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oooh, these are so cute! would totally try it when i have time, i miss doing crafty things. and A is in japan? color me jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.