Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Making Moves

Even though I haven't been writing much here, I've been quite productive this week. I cranked out four quick stories for Latina.com. I went through 200 new e-mails to RSVP for several upcoming events and create a long list of story pitches. I was just assigned a big piece for Latina's May issue and a spa review I wrote up two weeks ago is now out in this week's Time Out New York (mine is the third blurb). Oh, and that story I gave birth to in the middle of a technological breakdown? Apparently I nailed it.

My friends keep saying I'm the busiest unemployed person they know - and in a way that's incorrect. I'm not truly unemployed. I just turned my lay-off into an opportunity to freelance and do what I really want. But as blessed and busy as I've been, I want more, more, more. I want my name in more places, I want to research new topics. I want a steady stream of articles flowing out of my inbox. And after that tiny rutty stretch I recently found myself in, I'm taking full advantage of this spike in motivation. Now to actually submit all these ideas sitting in my notebook...

And how has your week been going?

P.S. Tomorrow night I'm finally attending a meeting with a weekly writing group A.'s been going on about since I met him. Hopefully I can focus and get something done there.

Image: Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische

12 comments :

  1. Good for you stayin' busy and shiz via writing! Between my two jerbs, I don't have a lot of downtime, but when I do, I make sure that my writing (presented through depressing poetry and psychotic blogging) is #1 past time! Maybe one day these extracurricular hobbiezzz of mine will lead to some dinero, Sigh...My head is bursting wiff unrealistic dreamz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have so much work that keeps working out. And congrats on your recent publications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the title was that you're making movies.

    How's my week going? clearly, my brain is fried at this point.

    Glad you're getting stuff done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're keeping busy seems like you're having a lot of fun :) Nice one.

    SE x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That Spa Review was like a double chocolate ... you got the massage and then got your review published!

    I hope you do more than make eyes at A at the writing group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! And Intense Guy, I'll try my best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with your friend...you sound awfully busy for being a lay off casualty. :) But it's a wonderful thing to hear about. I feel like it's been forever since we caught up (via blog or chat)....but work is keeping us both busy. And that can't be a bad thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a take charge kind of girl so I didn't expect you to let some little lay off get you down! It is wonderful that you are finding so many things to do and who knows where this time off may lead you!

    I hope your writing group went well!

    You'll have to email me or call one day when you are free and let me know what exciting things you did on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those freelance jobs sound great! It definitely sounds like you're being very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have been busy! That's great.

    My giveaway prize came yesterday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad freelancing has turned into something great for you...and so quickly! I'm really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.