Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Cheap Strawberry Shortcake


I can't really remember when I stopped buying costumes at the store. What I do remember is getting back into the Halloween spirit during my college years and rocking items already in my closet with a couple additions. Then I went all out in grad school and actually sewed something up for the occasion. Since then, I've loved putting a costume together rather than taking the ready-made (and more expensive) route.

I'm a starved creative soul that doesn't get to exercise her skills too often these days and Halloween (along with the holidays) are the perfect time to do so. Oh, and I'm also broke. That said, I loved my costume this year! Not only did it turn out well for a semi-last minute idea, but I didn't spend more than 10 bucks on the outfit:

Knitted hat: H&M (about $5) with a strawberry shape cut out from an old canvas bag
Striped thigh-highs: Ricky's ($5)
White peasant top: Promod (bought in France in 2002)
Pink ruffled skirt: H&M (borrowed from the sis)
Apron: sewn in 2005 for Little Red Riding Hood costume with green diamonds cut out from an old canvas bag
Brown flats: Steve Madden (bought in 2006)

And if I buy something, it has to be reusable so you know the hat and socks will definitely be worn again!

15 comments :

  1. How cute is that outfit!!! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute, you creative genious you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! My costume was also cheap! It only cost me literally $1! Good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see people are still making an effort with handmade costumes. :)

    I didn't bother with a costume for Halloween. We weren't going anywhere, and don't get many kids come knocking. Besides, I was so busy with other craft items that I didn't give it a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute and creative! I just don't do anything for myself anymore for Halloween.. pretty lame I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute you are! :) Great costume. Those socks are great. I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look adorable and extremely creative. Stopping by today from SITS. I ended up being the green M&M for Halloween and it was lovely. Some of the comments though were so funny. Come stop by for a slice of San Francisco...Under the Sheets~shhh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. every good costume has high socks... at least in my fantasies...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utterly brilliant! Well done!

    Stopping by from the SITS Halloween Parade :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I agree with everyone, you are too cute! Awesome custome and homemade is best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I love how you put everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you look sooooooo durn cute!!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.