Thursday, July 23, 2009

Broadway in Bryant Park: Week 2

[Ok, so I FINALLY managed to upload the video clips from last week's Broadway in Bryant Park. It only took forever! Hopefully I'll have better luck with today's performances.]


Two weeks ago, the annual Broadway in Bryant Park series started up again! And being a fan of all things free (especially previews of expensive Broadway plays) I went to last Thursday's performances.

Like last summer, I recorded the show and included it below. But unlike last year's clips, the video quality is better thanks to the Flip MinoHD I received last week! I didn't think you'd be able to hear much since I was a bit far from the speakers, but I think the sound is pretty good too. The only downside is that the video camera barely zooms in at all. Then again, I zoomed in so much with my digital camera the last time that the quality was pretty craptastic throughout.

Week 2's acts consisted of The Little Mermaid, 9 to 5, The Toxic Avenger, a hilarious musical about NYC's stinky neighbor to the west, and the über-boring (to me anyway) Pure Country.


Highlights

- I first heard "She's In Love" last year and was so excited to hear it again with the cute little Flounder boy that I actually started singing it before it even began. (3:42)

- I never really listened to Dolly Parton and seriously thought about heading back to the office after The Little Mermaid was through, but luckily I stayed. I was mighty impressed by both songs!

- David Bryan from Bon Jovi was on hand to introduce The Toxic Avenger (he wrote its music and lyrics) and mentioned that the band will be releasing a new album at the end of the year.

- A butterfly fluttered by while Pure Torture was on stage and I found it more interesting than the songs. Maybe it was the humidity or the tiredness from holding up the camera for 40 minutes, but I was just not trying to listen to sappy country music in that heat. Exactly why the camera was all over the place; I wasn't paying attention. I do think that guy was gangster for plugging in the play in the middle of his song. (1:05)









*Last year's Broadway in Bryant Park weeks 2, 4, 5, and 6 parts A and B

*Originally I wanted all four clips in one video, but apparently YouTube has a limit on file size and time. I wish I'd known this before I spent 2.5 hours waiting for the thing to be created.

6 comments :

  1. I remember reading your Broadway in Bryant Park series last year. Does it mean I have been reading your blog for a year now? I still can't get enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only can I not believe that I still have enough randomness and crap to write about, but that you fools keep reading. What's wrong with you guys?? LOL :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a year already?

    I'm really glad you finally got these videos posted! Does this mean your computer is all fixed and working again too?

    Just watching those folks wave their fans makes me a little warm and sweaty - but it looks like a pretty good crowd showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh a huge crowd always shows up! It's a free show, why wouldn't they? I think there were more today. Hopefully I'll upload that video before the year is through. And no, the PC is still not fixed. In fact, I haven't turned it on or done anything about it since Sunday because I just don't want to deal with it right now. So I've been trying to upload the videos onto YouTube from my laptop with super slow stolen WiFii and just leaving it on at home all day while it loads. Torture, I tell ya.

    As far as the year thing, I started writing regularly on here last May so happy belated blogiversary to Dry As Toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated anniversary! It is so hard to come up with stuff to talk about! You do a great job at it though!

    We saw the Little Mermaid when we were in NYC last summer and the girl that plays Ariel has an amazing voice. That is so awesome that they have those events there. It helps get more people involoved in the theater I'm sure.

    So you enjoyed the Dolly stuff? I heard 9 to 5 was a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi and I wanted to watch The Little Mermaid, especially since it's closing soon. But those shows are so crazy expensive there's just no way!! I'll settle for this.

    And 9 to 5 was amazing, but I'm basing that on the songs these ladies sang last week. If the whole show is like this, then I bet it's an incredible one!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.