Monday, May 11, 2009

Six-Word Memoirs


A couple weeks ago, I finally started reading the addictive Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure. Several years ago, Smith Magazine asked its online readers to describe their lives in six words. Mine would say: Grounded girl still learning to fly.

Here a few of my fave:

I still make coffee for two. -Zak Nelson

Living for Jesus because Earth sucks. -Johnny Johnson

Found true love, married someone else. -Bjorn Stromberg

Found true love after nine months. -Jody Smith

Girlfriend is pregnant, my husband said. -Shonna MacDonald

My life is a beautiful accident. -J.D. Tenuta

Without me, it is just aweso. -Chris Madigan

Tried everything once, few things twice. -Ed Zevetski

Five feet, but in your face. -Toby Berry

What would yours say?

P.S. I'm tempted to grab their Love and Heartbreak edition, too!

Image: search.barnesandnoble.com

6 comments :

  1. I really like these. I particularly like "my life is a beautiful accident". I prefer the uplifting ones and yours is good...describes hope, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorkys,

    My colleagues and I are trying a really fun social media experiment and were hoping to enlist your help. The project is called “A Kiss for Charity.” In short, it’s a Twitter flash mob – a simultaneous kiss – that benefits the Save the Family Foundation of Arizona, an organization that assists homeless families with children in their transition to self-sufficiency. They have been struggling due to the economic downturn, and we want everyone to do their part to help – because every child needs a kiss.

    All people have to do is follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/akissforcharity). We’ll be providing regular information, updates, and fun facts. Towards the end of the week, we're going to ask our followers to tweet #kissforcharity – exact date and time is a surprise and will only be announced on Twitter. If we get over 1000 people to participate in the Twitter flash mob, we'll be able to donate $1000 to Save the Family Foundation of Arizona.

    This is such a great opportunity to do something fun, easy, and worthwhile. We'd love your involvement and support. If you have any questions, please let me know.


    Best,
    Jane
    (janewfu@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arisen from ashes like a Phoenix.

    better yet

    Married twice, only one worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to Live, Love, Laugh, everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.