Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Book Club is Back!

So I'm finally restarting The Book Club in ten days! I've got my hand on a book I'd love to read along with you and then share our thoughts with each other.

I've chosen By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by the wonderful Paulo Coelho. Actually it came to me. My coworker had been telling me to read it for a while and her copy was finally waiting for me on my desk Tuesday morning. I fell in love with The Alchemist a while ago and am eager to dive into this story:


"Rarely does adolescent love reach its full potential, but what happens when two young lovers reunite after eleven years? Time has transformed Pilar into a strong and independent woman, while her devoted childhood friend has grown into a handsome and charismatic spiritual leader. She has learned well how to bury her feelings . . . and he has turned to religion as a refuge from his raging inner conflicts.

Now they are together once again, embarking on a journey fraught with difficulties, as long-buried demons of blame and resentment resurface after more than a decade. But in a small village in the French Pyrenees, by the waters of the River Piedra, a most special relationship will be reexamined in the dazzling light of some of life's biggest questions."


It seems like a quick read (that hopefully will not disappoint), but I'll break it up into several posts. We can sound off once a week on lazy Sunday evenings. Care to join me? If so, I'll see you on the 24th :)

Image: harpercollins.com

11 comments :

  1. I'm in! I was looking for a new book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is my favorite author. I think I started this book but didn't finish it ...I may join you ...but I'm scared of commitment lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to stick to looking for sunflower seeds.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okie doke! And I just noticed your new profile picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like a fun thing to be apart of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you expect it all to be read by the 24th? Just part of it? I would assume all...but they say assuming is bad. I find that statement annoying, however.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness no, not all. I figured I'd give people time to get the book and then start reading it. The first post will probably cover the first third or fourth since it's so short. I haven't started myself, but I will when the week starts. Knowing me, I'll probably finish it all in a week though, but I can't "assume" everyone else has to time to read it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like his book...but I wish I could have more time to read these days...barely read other blogs these days...sigh~ Too bad, but I have to have the right mood to read books these days, perhaps when I retire one day- hee* Lovely weekend dear!!! XO*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am thrilled to join a book club. I've been trying to get one together for a while now. My daughter and I hit Borders the other night so I've got 3 books to go. But... I am IN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like fun and I'd love to join you, but this and the next two months are way crammed with all too much........but I won't say no just now 'cause you never know....life has a way of changing.

    Thanks for stopping by and have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.