Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Giving Oscar Wao a Second Chance

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is another book I've owned for about two years and haven't been able to get through. But unlike The Lovely Bones, I gave this one a try before and hit a wall 30 pages in. As interesting as it was to read a novel based on my culture (about a Dominican ghetto-nerd severely unlucky at love and life), I just couldn't handle all those damn footnotes!

And yet everyone who's read the book loved it. LOVED it! Coworkers included. I even went to a reading last year and found it pretty entertaining, but apparently not enough to push through my current spot and finish.

So I'm thinking of giving Junot Díaz's masterpiece another go. Maybe this time I'll get through it. Of course, you guys are more than welcome to join in.



Image: bookcoverarchive.com

7 comments :

  1. This is one of those books that I've heard nothing but great things about but I haven't felt the urge to add it to my reading list yet. I might. Maybe. But I have some other books to get through first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did find the footnotes a bit distracting, but really liked the story

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a great book. For me the footnotes were the most entertaining part - modern day on historical event. Push thru the first few pages and I promise you it picks up. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time around, the footnotes were a drag and I had to put it down for a few months. Second time around, it became my favorite book of all time ever.. I can't wait to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't mind reading it one day, but right now I haven't the time to mess about trying to get hold of another book in audio or braille. I will be interested to know whatyou think of it though... For future reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan on asking for a giftcard to a bookstore for xmas. I will hopefully pick it up or add it to my wishlist and receive it in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo anon, thats a good idea, reading it again! i havent read a book twice in.... idk YEARS! it takes a lot for me to read something more than once, and a significant amount of time has to pass, cuz i like rereading it when i have forgotten little details... maybe ill do that eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.