Friday, January 1, 2010

The Year That Zoomed Right By

I've been struggling with my end-of-2009 recap because I keep thinking, "What the hell even happened this year and hello, how are we in 2010 already?!" I'm just going to go ahead and chalk it up to global warming. (What? Doesn't stuff accelerate in the heat?)

Anywho, 2009. Let's see:

I quit therapy and dared to figure things out on my own. I finally acknowledged my unhealthy eating habits, gained five pounds in a month and then lost it all the next. I grabbed the tiniest bikinis, left my body hangups in the dust and went on vacation with my best friend. In between coffee shop meetings and classes, I fell in love with Italian (and then my fickle heart began to lose interest). Press trips and featurettes accompanied my growing responsibilities at work. I loved my job and spent 12 months stressing over losing it...until the ax came one Friday the 13th and I was able to breathe again.

In the love department, the first half of 2009 still found me incredibly bitter and nostalgic for what I no longer had. What I did have was a head full of frustration, questions and no easy answers. As reluctant as I had been to the idea, things improved once I put some space between him and me. That was the first thing that was easier than I thought it'd be. The second: giving someone else a chance. My refusal to date faded away once I found myself right smack in the middle of it and actually enjoying myself. How could I possibly say no to letting go when it felt that good?

Looking back on the past year, it was nowhere near as trying and torturous as the one before. I still learned, yes, but the lessons came so much more gently. Perhaps knowing that I'd survived such a hellish time only meant that I could get through another if need be. Let's hope I don't.

As the new year begins, I'm hopeful, but in desperate need of a jump start. My ambitions want to take me in so many different directions, I don't even know where to begin. A bit paralyzing, but I love it. The moment I no longer churn out random ideas nor wish to conquer the world and create my mark is the moment I cease to be me. So here's to chasing dreams and actually catching those buggers.

Oh, and here's to time slowing way the hell down. Especially this week. I've got a Wednesday deadline to meet.

Image: flickr.com

22 comments :

  1. You're right....that was a very quick year. Seems with every passing one, time passes more and more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously love the Storm trooper pic. Awesome.

    It sounds like it's been quite a year for you. Lots of growing, lots of change. And I just know your 2010 is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Please do tell when you figure out how to slow down time. I'd like to be part of that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, 2009 just went whizzing past, didn't it?Seems like it was only a few days ago we were seeing in 2009, and now it's 2010! What the heck happened??? Seriously, if you figure out how to slow time down, then I want in on the secret! Stop the world, we all need to catch our breath!

    It sounds to me like you had a pretty good year on the whole though. I hope 2010 is an even better one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarily, each year seems to go past faster than the last. Any way of slowing it down would be a miracle! Otherwise soon I'll be 85.

    (dropping by from SITS!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you've got some new friends there!

    Breathe about that Wednesday deadline - it is only Saturday! I had to laugh at your global warming theory considering I am sitting here freezing looking at snow.

    Happy twenty ten and embrace the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's wonderful that you made so many positive steps in 2009. I've no doubt you'll continue to do so. Good luck with the Wednesday deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year
    and
    have a great SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    http://BLOGitse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey as long as we are growing and not losing progress then life is good.

    Sounds like it was a year of change for you and you are handling it wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! Here's to an exciting and meaningful new year!

    Looking forward to all the good stuff you are going to blog about this year!

    I don't know if I ever told you but after my phone was stolen during my trip to India I came back to the States and got the Twist. I love it and wanted it because I saw it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "So here's to chasing dreams and actually catching those buggers" - right back at you! Cheers!
    ***Ally

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finish your work so you can come play with me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you can slow down time, tell me ALLLL about how. :)


    Happy New Year Dorky Ramos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice recap. Even when we stop and think of our lives in snippets of time, no matter if we're talking an hour or a year, it seems they can always be talked about in balance. Finding the elusive even teeter totter is what we strive for, even when we think we're reaching for the upswing only. :) Good work on finding the level.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I second time slowing down! Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recap..especially since I just made it your way :D

    Ugh, time...that's all I'm going to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "The moment I no longer churn out random ideas nor wish to conquer the world and create my mark is the moment I cease to be me."

    I loved that sentence. Loved it. And, yes, to it and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2009 was an iffy year for me.. not much accomplished. Your year seemed pretty good to me! Lessons learned!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just hope this cold winter zooms by... :)

    Please don't hit the time speed brakes until April.

    And may 2010 bring you lots of excitement, creative ideas and much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year Dorkys! I am looking forward in following your new adventures in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds like a pretty good year to me :) mine was built on "personal growth" and all of that. didn't feel i could date yet but this year i'm going to be all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.