Friday, April 20, 2012

What Do You Do With Your Ex's Stuff?

So I'd been cleaning out the house and throwing out bags of junk when I came across a photo of Mr. First and me that I'd wrapped up in one of his old T-shirts and then forgot about. I also have a small box of trinkets, letters, and other sentiments that I once tried to give back in a fit of anger, but he simply wouldn't accept because they had meant so much. They've been packed up for the past four years and even though I haven't looked through any of it in so long and the photos don't stir much up inside, I just can't bring myself to throw that bit of my past away. Is that weird?

So tell me, what do you do with your ex's stuff after the break-up? Do you return it all, chuck it, or keep it? What about jewelry? I have two pieces from Tiffany's - including a necklace I absolutely love and would never give away or sell - that have mixed in nicely with everything else in my jewelry box.

And would you ever wear or accept things that were once meant for your current partner's ex? Call me shameless, but I've been happily wearing a beautiful corset that A. bought for his ex years ago but was just too small for her. Never even thought twice about saying yes.

Image: someecards.com

9 comments :

  1. Hmm.. that's an interesting question about whether or not you'd accept something that was meant for your current lovers ex, how much time had gone by before it was offered to you? I guess it depends on what it was.
    I've only been in long term relationships prior to my 10 years with my Hubby. I still have memories from that time in my life stuffed in a box in a closet at my parents house. If I ever glance at it, it's a trip down memory lane that reminds me of how much I've grown in relationships.. but don't let the hubby see them,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories are all that's needed. Use what's usable, sell the rest, and give away whatever someone else needs more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep what you like and can use, sell or give away what you can't; that's what I'd do. *Grins*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both Rich and Toriz - However, a small bonfire as seen in Waiting to Exhale is not a bad idea {provided you get a license from the fire marshall here in the village} Tehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my roommate always says, "Don't take it out on the jewelry."

    If the jewelry doesn't stir up nostalgia and sadness, then enjoy it and don't think of where it came from.

    As for everything else, I eventually throw it all away. Except pictures. For some reason I always feel the need to keep a couple of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL that e-Card sooo funny. And to answer your question, I use my scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really hard for a person to just neglect things out and forget everything. It's not simple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the sight or thoughts of it reopens "hurts"... get rid of it... If it brings a smile (even a rueful one), and you've space for it, I think you should hang on to it and the associated memory. You need to live in the here and now - but forgetting where you've been isn't a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really soo hard when i comes to break ups. But life must go on after it. For me if i have the chance to return it, I will.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.