Monday, April 9, 2012

How Long Does Make-Up Keep?

Since we're on the topic of spring cleaning, decluttering, and makeup tips, I thought I'd remind you to give your makeup collection a once over. As much as we love to hold on to them 'til the last drop, that stuff expires and you don't want to brush on a nice layer of germies on your beautiful face. To keep makeup from going bad quicker, store them in cool, dry locations, which means away from the bathroom, and pay attention to the Period After Opening icon. It's a small opened jar with a number followed by the letter "M" signifying the number of months it'll keep after being opened. Below, a general guide for expiration dates:.

Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel: three years
Facial cleanser, moisturizer: six months
Deodorant: two years
Body lotion: two to three years
Anti-aging, acne treatments: three months to a year
Concealer: one year
Foundation: two years
Powder: two years
Blush: one year
Powder eyeshadow: two years
Cream eyeshadow: six months
Liquid eyeliner, mascara: three months
Eye/lip pencil: two to five years
Lipstick, lip gloss: two to three years
Hairstyling products: three to five years
Nail polish: one year
Perfume: two years

Plus, you should clean your makeup brushes regularly to avoid spreading bacteria onto your products. Here's how to clean your brushes, which you should do at least once a month, and seven ways to make your own brush cleaner.

Image: delightedmomma.com

7 comments :

  1. Oy vey. I am in so much trouble. Isn't it easier to just not wear any makeup? Too bad I don't have flawless skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking because it's exactly what I do. Thing is because I rarely wear make-up, the ones I do have last foreverrrr.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I've got some spring cleaning to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I still want to use your new Essie color! We must get that gold foil next time I visit.

      Delete
  3. I used to NOT wear make-up, but then Owen came along and screwed up my complexion BIG TIME. Haven't recovered since. I did try a stint of Proactiv, and will have to find a way to buy some. It seemed to help a LOT. As for the cleaning my brushes thing...oops. Maybe I should do it. Sometime. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, you too? My forehead just inexplicably broke out a few months ago (I'm blaming a new hat that I kept wearing too low) and I'm still trying to reverse the effects, but my skin blemishes so easily. So frustrating. I don't even wear make-up and won't for a good long while lest it makes the whole situation worse.

      Delete
  4. Interesting post. I rarely put make-up so it is nice to know how long I could keep them. I may have to use them when they are about to expire. chicago airbrush

    ReplyDelete

Say word.