Thursday, April 19, 2012

{Wanderlust} Practical Tips for Traveling the World

I'm lucky enough to have really increased my travels over the last couple of years. After countless childhood summers traveling to the same Dominican village my parents grew up in, I wanted to see new sights, taste other cultures' foods, and expand my view of the world. I wanted to be surprised, push past my comfort levels, and land right in the middle of someplace I never even knew existed. So what began with a trip to France in 2002 eventually grew into Mexico, Costa Rica, and St. Lucia, a backpacking dream trip through Europe, and most recently, Thailand.

This next month promises to also bring in new adventures as I'll be taking on off a series of trips that'll take me back to San Antonio before exploring the white sand beaches along Alabama's Gulf Coast. That'll be followed by a girls' road trip to Virginia Beach to visit a good friend and the day after I arrive from that, A. and I will fly off to Los Angeles to spend time with family and meet his second nephew. It'll be madness and I might forget what city I'm waking up in, but I cannot wait to set out.

I've yet to compile my own list of the things I've learned from my travel experiences, but in the meantime, Jodi Ettenberg of Legal Nomads shares 21 practical tips that she's gathered from her years of traveling around the world. One of my favorites is tip number 11:

"My preferred way of connecting to people is via food but regardless of your passions or interests, travelling will also open your eyes to the fact that we are all more alike than we think," Jodi writes. "Yes, there are cultural differences and traditions that differ – vastly – but the basics of human emotions and the kindness in a smile are omnipresent, and a beautiful reminder of our shared humanity...Threads of common human queries – love, food, parenting, and many more – resurface again and again. Ask questions, encourage people to ask them of you. In the end, these knots of human connection are what makes the world go round."

I know I still have to continue writing about my adventures in Thailand, but hope to squeeze some posts in during my flights this week!

3 comments :

  1. The pratcical tips travelling is given in the post here. Useful post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the way you presented the information and maintained your classic style of narration throughout the blog. It’s a great relief to know the internet still lives and has not yet converted itself into a cesspool of drab information.
    singapore limousine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog Is very informative , I am really pleased to post my comment on this blog . It helped me with ocean of knowledge so I really believe this site will do much better in the future.
    Online Hotel Reservation

    ReplyDelete

Say word.