Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sammy, You'll Be Missed

Unfortunately, this post isn't such a happy one. T (for therapist for you newcomers) sent out an e-mail this afternoon. Her doggy passed away yesterday after a strange SUV drove into her driveway, turned around and left Sammy injured. T's companion for the past 15 years died in her arms an hour later at the hospital.

I know I've never mentioned her when I've written about my sessions with T, but Sammy was there at all but one of my sessions this past year. She'd walk around the room, lay around on the carpet, or play with her toys while we talked. She always greeted me at the door when I came in and cheered me up whenever those sessions got too rough. Halfway into the hour, she'd stroll over to T's recliner so she could be scooped up in her arms and snuggle into that chair. She was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

Oftentimes when I was too upset to talk or even look at T, I'd just focus on Sammy and kind of zone out. I'd watch her wiggle around on her back just begging for a tummy rub (left). Or she'd just sit there, hair all over her eyes, and listen. I think she, too, was a therapist in a previous life.

Rest in peace, Sammy. Tomorrow won't be the same without you.

9 comments :

  1. sorry to hear this... may he rest in peace dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are. I've never owned one, but have been lucky enough to become close with several of them. Something about hugging them, petting them and just being around them is one of the best remedies for a sad heart. It's like they can sense how you feel and want to do anything they can to pick you back up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOD!! Sammy was so cute. RIP Sammy. ... I've always wanted one of those white curly dogs... they are the smartest ever. If I could trade my dog for one of those... I'd be the happiest girl...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I teared up reading this. Makes me want to go home and give Charlie a bigger hug than I usually do. Those little dogs are really part of your family and life. RIP Sammy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anonymous- yeah, she was a sweetheart not to mention super smart.

    heidi- yeah they do become a part of your family and you grow to love them just as much. They just want to love unconditionally, be loved and play day in and day out. Tell Charlie I say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should just come over and tell him yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, that sucks. :O( The picture you have of Sammy is adorable. It's hard enough to deal with when they're old and you know it's coming, but so much worse when it's a tragic accident like that. Poor little pup. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sad to hear. I am a dog lover and know what the loss of one means to the people who loved them.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.