Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Confessions of a Wannabe Domestic Goddess

You know the real reason why I resisted learning how to cook and clean as a child? Because I didn't want to end up using my skills on a man when I grew up. (By the way, plan totally backfired as I can now barely cook for myself, but anywho.) I'd see my mom slave away for us and quickly figured, "Nope. Definitely not signing up for that one." What I didn't know was that someday I'd want to do those things not out of obligation, but because that nurturing side of me would finally wake up.

And that it did during my relationship with Mr. First. Imagine my confusion when I actually wanted to help him fold his laundry and bake him crumb cakes. If I knew he'd get home from work late, I'd leave his bed made before I drove back home just so he could return to a tidy bed. I found myself doing all these little unexpected things for him because I knew it'd make him happy. Crazy thing was I felt just as happy knowing I was taking care of my boyfriend.

Seriously.

What ever happened to the tiny feminist who took a stand in the Ramos household and raised a fuss every time my sister and I had to wash dishes and sweep the house while my brother bummed around? The one who'd wondered (out loud, unfortunately) why couldn't Dad serve his own dinner? The answer usually resulted in frustration and crying tantrums: because that's the woman's role. And so grew my list of strikes against the "woman's role."

But now those instincts have rushed right back as I wonder if A. would like cupcakes with freshly squeezed lemonade. ¿Arroz con vegetales o un locrio de pollo? And oh no! Did he pack pjs for his trip? (Duh, vegetales and apparently Dickies pants are comfy enough to sleep in.) It seems no matter how many times I say I'll never tend to any man, relationships bring out the exact opposite in me. I simply want to make sure he's satisfied and comfortable. And so the goal lies in finding a man who wants to do the same for you.

I won't ever accept that women should be expected to handle the chores or that we're automatically supposed to dedicate our lives to cooking, cleaning, feeding, washing and serving. What I will admit is that we have a strong tendency to want to care for others - especially those we love. Our maternal instinct makes us feel good when we create comfort and happiness however we can. Besides, doesn't that sound so much better than "that's the woman's role?"

14 comments :

  1. SO true. I was very against doing anything domestic growing up, and now that I live with my boyfriend, I find myself cooking him a meal at 10 at night (he works late) to make sure he is fed and happy when he walks in the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate as I was the same way when I was younger! I always said I would never cater to a man the way my mom waited on my dad...it never occurred to me why she did it and that she wasn't really catering to him. I just assumed it was a sexist type of expectation that she was trying to fulfill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought any partnership would have the person that did a particular thing "best", doing it - be it taking out the trash, washing dishes or even ironing (and noooooooo I don't iron!)

    You've got what I think is the right idea - each of you doing things you want to do FOR the other person just because makin' them happy - makes you happy.

    p.s., I got a good smelling magazine today in the mail... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT's fun to learn to embrace all parts of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like me! I don't want to be tied to the stove, but there is something about caring for the man in my life that makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs still gets a kick out of me and my mouth. When we first started dating, he nonchalantly tried to hand his plate to me to return to the kitchen since I was already up and headed that way. I stated rather abruptly that I wasn't anyone's bitch and he could do it himself.

    And here I am, about to pop him out another kid, cooking dinners, doing everyone's laundry, hanging up shirts he says can be folded....blah.

    Domesticity. Blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel the same way as you. and yet to discover my inner domestic goddess...i'm not sure if she's there somewhere though..haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women are awesome-we can be domestic goddesses *and* kickass independent and self-sufficient people! I've found that recently I've been wishing I could be a housewife and truly flex my domestic muscles (since I *love* to cook, bake, and have a pretty house), but I think it might be because I'm burned out on working constantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was exactly the same, and although I still don't like cooking or cleaning... I'd much rather clean my boys place than mine :S

    SE

    ReplyDelete
  10. I resisted those things when I was younger, but it was out of laziness more than any resistance to take care of a future husband and hypothetical children.

    I've picked up some of those skills along the way, and I love taking care of my friends just as much as any boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true. I wouldn't say I am domestic and want to stay at home and take care of all the little things around the house. However, I do enjoy making sure my family is happy, safe, and fed. It's my nurturing side!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just an inbred instinct... Like the nesting instinct of an animal. We can't do anything about it, and why try? We feel good for making them feel good, and there's no harm in that, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey, saw your blog on 20 something bloggers. I'm the exact same way. I resent the fact that I'm supposed to automatically cook and clean for a man as if that is my job to do. Especially when a lot of dudes aren't handling their business properly but that is another topic all together. I didn't grow up cooking but I LOVE to cook now and can clean well enough to not get sick or sit in my own filth lol. I do find myself wanting some companionship and a person to actually want to cook and do all of those "womanly" things for. So I can definatily relate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always pretty much rebelled against the "woman's work" statement. Then again, I came from a family that expected all to pitch in no matter what their gender. As a result, my brother cooks a good sight better than me while I'm the better baker.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.