Friday, March 12, 2010

The Honeymoon Stage

You know that place in a relationship where everything - even watching each other eat eggs for breakfast - is incredible? When you love that ginormous grin he has on when he meets you in the crowded street and then pulls out a stuffed dolphin from behind him? When seeing and hearing her squeal in delight makes waiting all day for the UPS guy totally worth it? When the short and sweet e-mail he sends you in the morning makes you smile the entire day? "Lovely." "Dear." "Babe." Shoot, even your own name sounds infinitely better coming from their lips. Yeah...I'm so there.

This has been a total "Whoosh!" It's obviously not perfect, but I like how right now it feels pretty close. I'm trying not to wonder how long this stage will last and just enjoy the fact that A. and I fit. Fantasies, fears and dreams are easy to share. I can be my weirdest self, singing and twirling around his apartment, and not care (too much) what he thinks. I can pretend to be mad and feign disinterest just to be contrary and he will still give me a "Hey, cutie" with a wink on top. And if I do get annoyed for some petty reason, I just look into those blue, green, brown (just pick a color already, will you?!) eyes and quickly realize that dammit, I still kinda like him.

So even though in the beginning I had no interest in doing so for a good long while, tomorrow I'm finally taking A. to meet my parents.

"So you've got plans for me, huh?" he asks.

"Yeah, at least 'til April anyway."

Image: flickr.com

28 comments :

  1. Meeting the parents....good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    A is a lucky dude. And I don't mean 'cause he is meeting the parents... in fact... well, I guess I should just stop there...

    :)

    Hey! I want to see the dolphin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Hope it goes well! Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Everything is going to be great.

    Part of me looks forward to having that honeymoon stage again with someone new. Part of me doesn't really care right now if that ever happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it will, Karen. Once you're ready to accept or at least give it a fighting chance it'll pop back up. If you'd asked me two years ago if I ever wanted to try again, I'd sock you in the face and yell, "You can take your love and shove it"

    Luckily, I'm a little more saner these days. I'm also glad that I took my sweet time to sludge around through all that crap and not hurry into anything before I felt calm enough to give someone new a fair shot. Everyone deserves at least that much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! Can't wait to read more about the parental meeting! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm a sucker for the eyes! Good luck! :)

    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh psshh! You'll be fine, babe :)

    I promise the fun we have in store for you won't be too traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are going to love anyone who is making you this happy! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww congrats to u both....and i want to here a play by play of meeting the parents lol....in the mean time send some of those good vibes my way....all ive been getting is a bunch of bad luck in the love department.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw. you're so cute. good luck with meeting the parents.

    i hope i get to that stage someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited! Andrew they will love you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH I love that stage! and you put in words so well!

    stopping by via SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeek meeting the parents is always scary! I'm sure it'll go well though. :)

    SE x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is just such a sweet post. My DH and I got married before our families ever met each other, and when they did meet, we were in a different hemisphere! lol.. at least we never had the 'will they like him/her' thing to go through, cause we were married by the time we met each others parents too! not the ideal way to go about it, by the way, but still - it worked for us! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This entry was so sweet and I totally am in the same boat as you right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. awww...that's so sweet. i'm so happy for you dorkys.

    p.s. good luck, A! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Soak it up and enjoy it! I'm there too and it's heaven, sheer heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by! What a great relationship stage! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aaahh, i love the honeymoon stage. i'm 3 years passed it with my beau, and the nestled in a married stage is just as wonderful - although different. ;) hope meeting the parents was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dorkys !! UPDATED please.. tell us what mommy cooked for dinner because I know she tore it down in the kitchen for Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy for you. I love this stage of a relationship. It's just so fun. Hope everything goes well with the parents!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh you will have to let us know how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw! Still in the honeymoon stage here and it's going on year 7 completed :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool, all the best - I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.