Monday, March 22, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Maybe it's because I finally learned the story or because the IMAX 3D experience blew my mind, but I loved Alice in Wonderland! I'll admit I wasn't really dying to see it mainly because Johnny Depp in costume and makeup weirds me out, but I couldn't turn down a chance to catch my first IMAX movie since an elementary school field trip. (To further prove how uncool I am, I was wondering why my 3D glasses weren't red and blue.)

So I'm sitting in the 600-seat theater oohing and aahing at the sheer size of the screen and concerned that I'd be schizzing out and dodging "objects" coming straight for me. That never happened, but then it begged the question: what was the point of making the film in 3D? It added a little extra oomph to the film perhaps, but I think I would have enjoyed it just as much in old-school 2D...as long as the screen was still 75 x 97 feet.

As for the movie, I have no idea how much it deviated from Lewis Carroll's series, but in Tim Burton and Linda Woolverton's version, a feisty 19-year-old Alice returns to Wonderland (Underland, really) after delaying a marriage proposal and taking off after the White Rabbit. Turns out she first encountered the fantastical place as a child and grew up believing it was all a dream, but upon her return, old friends remind Alice of the journey destined for her: to end the Red Queen's cruel reign. As simple as the plot was, I was completely lost in it: the costumes, the creatures, the CG landscape. In fact, this was the first time A. and I hit the movies together and I could very well have sat next to a total stranger; I paid him no mind whatsoever. And bonus: the movie is only 108 minutes long, which was wonderful for my attention span.

Alice in Wonderland (on IMAX 3D): 3.5/5 Toasties



Image: disneydreaming.com

14 comments :

  1. The beauty of today's 3D film is that it adds richness, depth, and texture to the movie. It's not about the cheesiness of sending things flying into your face, but about making the viewer feel more a part of the action.

    I saw Alice in 2D and really enjoyed it, but I'm dying to see it 3D because I know I'll like it that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to see it since it opened, but have not set aside time to do so. I enjoyed your review and you helped me make up my mind to drive a few miles farther to see it in 3D. The costumes look amazing as do the sets. I must put this on my Saturday agenda before I miss it and end up seeing it in a few months from Redbox! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going back and forth about this movie. Sometimes I think I might want to see it, sometimes I don't. I guess I'm still jaded by the butchering of "Where The Wild Things Are" and I'm skeptical about movies made of my favorite childhood stories.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this movie so bad! I love the toasties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see this movie! Not that the 3D part makes any difference to me what so ever, but the plot sounds cool, and I always liked the old version of Alice In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally have no interests in watching this movie - I don't like Tim Burton movies or Johnny Depp. Still, I enjoyed reading this post and 108 minutes is also the perfect movie length for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really known the story line myself...your synopsis helps me out some. I'd rather see it for myself and figure it out....and, like you, I had no desire to see it but now you've got me curious.

    Love the Toasties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it's a bit different in the movie since I'm sure a young Alice is who visits Wonderland in the books. I still really enjoyed this version though.

    I should add that the two people I went with were not as impressed as I was. They enjoyed it, yes, but I was the only one going, "WHOA! That was awesome!!"

    I should also point out that they were two IMAX 3D veterans so to them it was like eh, it was aight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You didn't mention Helena Bonham Perfection Carter ONCE?! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Stopping in from SITS. I saw the movie in 2D. I went with four other people and not one of us was that into it. The costumes and the scenes were awesome, but the actual movie itself didn't do much for me. I like Johnny better as Jack Sparrow.
    That's the thing about movies though, everyone has their own opinion.
    Wonderful blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to see this movie. Not for the story but for the special effects/makeup, etc.

    Happy SITS day

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not generally a Burton fan, nor much of a Depp fan. The only things I really recall seeing Depp in (other than the old 21 Jump St show)are ones that he's costumed out into some weird character (Viva Le Sparrow!). I'm also very much familiar with Disney's take on this story (never read the original). I have seen the Syfy adaption of the story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1461312/)so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this differs from the 2 versions I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Given how much I like the "original" one (in book form) I'm sure I'd truly enjoy this movie too...

    ...but you wont find me squealing over Johnny Depp... Helena Bonham Carter on the other hand... ut oh... I better go get a bib and a napkin...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Given how much I like the "original" one (in book form) I'm sure I'd truly enjoy this movie too...

    ...but you wont find me squealing over Johnny Depp... Helena Bonham Carter on the other hand... ut oh... I better go get a bib and a napkin...

    ReplyDelete

Say word.