Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wanted: A Vacay...Stat!

I love to fly. There's nothing like the hustle and bustle of an airport, getting that boarding pass and the anticipation that sets in as you buckle your seat belt and prepare for take-off. And those views...I pretty much spend most of the flight marveling at how something so big can soar through the clouds.

Too bad I haven't experienced any of this in almost four years. I've been itching to get out of the city for a couple days, a week, whatever, but I keep pushing it back. It's been:

"Oh, I should focus on grad school this year."

"I have to keep job searching."

"I'm too busy with work."

"No, I don't want to go to D.R. for the millionth time, thanks." (I'm a firm believer that the world's just too huge to be making so many repeat visits...but I have been toying with Punta Cana since I've never been there.)

And now, "Crap. I'm broke."

You see, I have found deals online. Just one problem...they're all based on double occupancies!! Argh! What if you want to jet-set completely and utterly sola? What if the plan is to go where nobody knows your name, lay out on the beach and dig your toes into the sand? Geez, I didn't know it was so expensive to be a loner.

So we'll see what I end up doing. For now, I'll keep looking through Travelzoo and salivate over pictures like these:














Images: wisebread.com, tripadvisor.com, villagecruisetravel.com

18 comments :

  1. All i read here was---> your are one step closer to giving in to me and dama...we are almost there ...just wait and see lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, foolios. I'm not going to el campo anytime soon. Besides, didn't I tell Julio (back in 2004 or so) that I wouldn't be back til like 2010? Todavia falta tiempo...

    Maybe I'll hit up Puerto Rico instead...or Mexico...so many choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bueno dariany and i are already lightly planning next yrs trip paya, and theres always room for more on our plane!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No, I don't want to go to D.R. for the millionth time, thanks."

    ReplyDelete
  5. you mean a million and ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh...who doesn't need a vacay...I want one too dear...
    You r really brave to plan a solo trip girrl... keep us posted if u get a great deal... those pics are trully paradise indeed! I'm so proud that u r going f the grad school! ;)

    happy TGIF 2 U !

    ReplyDelete
  7. dama.. dari.. take me!! take me!!

    How does April sound??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorkys, I have an idea! Let's go to a resort in DR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Punta Cana is fantastic, so beautiful. I love DR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lenore, it's more like oblivion disguised as courage. I don't think about the possibility of getting kidnapped and thrown out into the ocean because I figure why would anyone want to hurt me?? But my co-worker said she doesn't think she'd be able to travel by herself, but I know other people go on adventurous trips by themselves all the time. I don't think it'd be a biggie at all. I hope you get your vacay too! Oh, and I already went and finished grad school two years ago :)

    Anonymous, thanks for the offer, but I keep saying I want to go by myself and laugh every time someone invites themselves along. Maybe another time? Just want to get out on my own for a little and not have to compromise At All about what to do, where to go, when do it. Nope! It'll just be me, myself and moi! Besides, this way I know I'll follow through with the plans ;)

    Heidi, yes, I've heard it's gorgeous out there as the pictures show. One day I'll see it for myself.

    And happy Friday monkeybutts! Enjoy the long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have I showed you the pictures I took when I went? Check myspace, I put them there this summer. You would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No I haven't actually (haven't been on there in a minute), but I'll def check them out when I get the chance. But I bet they're all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am the exact opposite - I hate flying. I wish I could just blink my eyes and be at my destination.

    I sure love to travel though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sugar, funny thing is (actually not really) that I'm deathly afraid of falling. It's not so much the height because if I feel safe (like in a big, strong and well-made plane) then I'm not scared. But if it's some old rickety ferris wheel car 50-feet up in the air, then we might have a problem. Especially if other people think it'd be great fun to start swinging the thing all over the place.

    Plus, I don't like that freefalling feeling (which is why I hated the Tower of Terror!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. tower of terror ruled, dont front.

    ps. thank you for pulling me down when i floated off my seat =]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, I can't believe you liked it! I couldn't wait til I was on solid ground again.

    P.S. That's what big sisters are for. To keep their younger sibs from flying off amusement park rides.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mira I already told you I'm taking a reading vacation before I turn 30... I was gonna go alone, pero I can make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before you turn 30?! Woman, between now and then I would've burned out looooong ago. It's true because I think that's happening in...oh...five minutes?

    ReplyDelete

Say word.