Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How Late Would You Wait?

Soon after 90210 ended last night my friend called me up to discuss details. It went from the two hot men on the show to what's really good with Brenda's teeth and eventually to "Is Shannen Doherty married?" "Does she have kids?" "How old is she?" The answers: "Was married twice but then divorced the first husband and annulled the second marriage," "No" and "37."

Now I know everyone lives their life as they see fit and maybe she doesn't want kids and all that, but my friend and I started wondering: At what point would we say, "Forget men! I'm having a child on my own!" We definitely do not want to be 50 years old and still waiting for The One to come along to then start a family. We might have missed our chances by then! She and I talked about just having our kids by 35 and then resuming the search after.

Although she feels (or strongly hopes) that we'll be married by the time we're 30 and I doubt we're all doomed for a life of spinsterhood, she said it's good to have a backup plan - just in case.

I might go the adoption route if it comes down to it. For years I've mentioned wanting to adopt a baby someday and giving it all the love and care it's been missing. "Why would I bring another child into this world when there are so many out there wishing somebody loved them?" I'd ask. And mom would reply, "You need to have a child of your own so I can love it." Yeah, thanks mom.

So how late would you guys wait? And would you willingly have a child on your own or just let nature and fate take it's course?

8 comments :

  1. Ummm I was a happy girl until I read this blog.. Thanks Dorkys.. way to make my life easier today..
    Can you say DEPRESSION?!!

    Oh and yeah if I don't have kids by 30, I'll just have to SETTLE for a dead beat hot baby daddy. If I can't live happily ever after, why not just have cute kids with good 'ol unavailable guy.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm just trying to get you guys thinking about this stuff. It's not like you're getting any younger.

    And hellooo! What if the baby gets some of those bad boy genes?? I'd rather take my chances with an anonymous sperm donor and pray he was a sane man just looking for a little extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL you already know what I think about that... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm telling you, 35 is my cut-off point if I am single then I am having a baby on my own. Why would I let go of my dreams just bc I don't have a man at thy time. But hopefully we won't have to make those decisions.

    Dear God please take pity on us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the more education you pump into females, the further they get from birth bearing"------direct quote from my usso professor this morning...just thought id share this ...feel free to comment lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, yes the smarter women get the more they realize that they don't have to stay at home giving birth to children if they don't want to. They can CHOOSE to do that or they can CHOOSE to work outside the home or they can CHOOSE to do both.

    It's great having so many options :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm, not to sure. but i think if i'm still single by 35, then i might have a baby. my cousin actually did this, she's only 34 and decided she wants to have a baby. now she's very happy, baby's dad is out of the picture.

    but to be honest, i don't even want to think about it...yet.

    thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. im looking forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. first of all thanks for the comment since I'm just starting out it's so hard for my blog to be read.
    anyways
    I'm all up for adopting, a true mother is the one who raises you and not just delivers you, adopt first, but if you wanna have one then it's alright too. or maybe both.
    If i was your son I would like my mom to be hip a young, I do not like old momies, however don't get a child if your marriege/realtionship is not stable, it might be risky.
    My parents got married when when they were 22 and I was born 1.5 years later, don't wait to long you wanna be at your best when carring for a child and be able to enjoy life with them.
    I would not have a child later then 35.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.