Friday, August 24, 2012

So Let Me Tell You About Toby

Two years ago I made the tough decision of giving my dog Toby away. The time, stress, and costs of being a dog owner were proving to be more than I could handle at the time and I felt guilty that I wasn't providing him with the attention and care he needed. So in early November 2010, I gave him to a cousin of a friend convincing myself that it was for the best despite how torn I felt about the whole thing. I cried for days, heard his tags still jingling around the house long after he'd left, and up until recently, kept finding his fur clinging the corners of my home. After several attempts to reach out to his new owner for updates and photos were met with silence, I figured she was busy with three dogs and a personal health issue of her own and simply tried to get on with life.

Fast forward to last Wednesday when a phone call wakes me up alerting me that Toby was found wandering the streets of Brooklyn with my tags still on his collar. Cue the anxiety, the stress, and most of all questions. Where's the owner? Is she frantically looking for him? How'd he get to Brooklyn if I'd sent him an hour north of the city? Luckily, the family who took him in was a kind one who kept me in the loop, but there were children involved and I was worried they'd get attached to him before I could bring him home.

Come to find out - 12 hours later, by the way - that the woman had given him to her brother-in-law who lives in BK, but he'd yet to respond to her queries about the missing dog. She kept mentioning how confused she was over the situation while I kept it short and stern and asked why my information was still on the dog two years after I gave him away. Would he be tagless had it not been for the ones I'd left on his collar? Something just didn't sit right and while I still didn't have all the pieces to the story, I knew I had to go pick Toby up and bring him back.

I was so stressed I barely slept or ate the night before. Thursday morning I was still a nervous wreck. Will he remember me? Is he still the excitable, yappy little dog that barked day and night? Where will he live? Will the other owners fight for him? And for some reason I worried most about his nails. That night I dreamt they grew so long they curled under his paw and pierced him right through. When I arrived at that front door Thursday afternoon, I was upset to discover that my fear came partly true. Not only had Toby gained so much weight, but some of his nails curled around and around and had embedded into his paw making it a struggle to walk just a few feet. How he'd manage to travel five miles when he can barely make it down the block now is beyond me, but no wonder he's so pooped these days.

Still, after the initial shock over his transformation, I was thrilled to have him back in my arms. He even gifted me with a new fur coat on the drive back. And I know the chunker remembers his family. He licked my face as soon as he saw me, still follows me around the house, and cries if I leave him behind. We certainly never forgot him all this time.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as he looked up at me on the car ride home, panting and trembling just as he did the day I placed him in the back seat of his new owner's car.

I'm sorry for whatever promises weren't fulfilled and any hardships you have endured - including the possibility of having contracted Lyme disease. I'm sorry I didn't suss out these new people before handing you over or that I didn't go with my gut when I worried about you. But I'm also sorry that I still don't know if I can be your forever home because it's going to suck to give you away a second time around.

17 comments :

  1. Oh goodness. I know he's going to get a pawdicure anyway.

    It seems like a good thing your tag was still on him - who knows what might of been - the only important thing is now - what will be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, although I was upset over the situation, I was thankful that he at least had some info on him and that the people who found him contacted me promptly. We'll see what happens next.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness he still had your tags on him. I hope you find hima wonderful home or that you are able to keep him yourself. Pets hold such a special place in our hearts good luck to you and him. Stopping by from SITS share fest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit! We definitely do keep that little furball in our heart. It's so easy to get attached...

      Delete
  3. As fate would have it, I think you and Toby are meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Anonymous...Toby needs to be with you..I know it will be difficult but it can be done, I think it would be way to hard him and confusing to be sent to another home...I am so happy he is ok and I am certain he remembers you...animals are so smart and give us so much love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy he's okay, too. I can't imagine what he's been through or for how long he was "out there." I still don't know the whole story and frankly at this point, don't care. If they wanted to, the others would've checked in by now.

      Delete
  5. Despite how hard it was for you to try to give him a better home, he was very lucky to still have your tags so you could rescue him. I do believe it's a sign that the two of you are meant to be together. After his "pawdicure" and some runs in the park, I'll be he'll start slimming down to his old self.

    Repeat after me: It's not my fault, it's not my fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ChicagoLady. He was diagnosed with Lyme disease after all so he's been super lethargic, but slowly getting better and walking more thanks to medication. It's hard not to feel the guilt, but trying to focus on the bright side.

      Delete
  6. Aww poor Toby!!! I know it was hard for you when you had to let him go the first time. It isn't your fault as you did try to keep in touch about his well being and you had his best intentions in mind when finding him a new home. I'm just glad the little cutie is looking happy there! I hope it works out that he can stay with you if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so weird. He's almost like a different dog, but I think it's cause he's been sick. He's just curled up on the floor all quiet. He does pep up a bit when I try to play with him, but he's no longer the bouncy puppy I had two years ago. Hopefully he's up and about soon.

      Delete
  7. Tody! So nice to see him again. Hopefully he will bounce back to normal after some TLC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You what the weird coincidence was? I read your post about Pesto making his way back to your family the night before I got the call.

      Delete
  8. Wow. Has it really been two years??

    This story seriously brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad Toby found you when he needed help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, that is terrible and so great that you have him back. He is totally in love with you with and vice-versa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you two are just meant to be together! Shame on the people who were supposed to be caring for him and failed him. But now you can spoil him rotten like he deserves! He's back with his mama! :)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.