Monday, August 20, 2012

{Monday Inspiration} Six Quotes from Sylvia Plath

Have you ever read any of Sylvia Plath's works? I never have, but after reading a quote of hers that a friend posted on Facebook, I've been completely overtaken by sudden intrigue. The poet and novelist, who was only 30 when she committed suicide, had such a way with expressing life and emotion that I can't wait to dive into her journals, poems, The Bell Jar, all of it. I have a suspicion I will find so many of my own thoughts nestled within those pages only presented a hundred times more beautifully.

"So many people are shut up tight inside themselves like boxes, yet they would open up, unfolding quite wonderfully, if only you were interested in them."

"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited."

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."

"I am still so naïve; I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am. A passionate, fragmentary girl, maybe?"

"Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I've taken for granted."

"Is there no way out of the mind?"

Sometimes I wish there were...

Image: rakel.tumblr.com

2 comments :

  1. I love sylvia plath. especially the bell jar. there is something so amazing about the book. the whole time i read it there were certainly intense bits but it wasn't till i had finished the whole thing that i realised how insanely depressing it is, but in a beautiful strangely haunting way. i love that it does that.
    xo samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her words are so powerful. I agree, beautiful, tragic, pensive, all the things I can get wrapped up in.

      Delete

Say word.