Friday, February 24, 2012

{Happy Friday} Dancers Among Us

I discovered photographer Jordan Matter's "Dancers Among Us" photo series early last year, but yesterday (and into today) I found myself on his site and once again just mesmerized by this project. For those who are unfamiliar, Matter places professional dancers in everyday situations and captures some extraordinary moments. His inspiration for the series came after seeing the joy his son experienced from playing with his toys and being completely engrossed in a world that was invisible to his father's eyes.
"As we get older and wiser, what happens to this enthusiasm, this ability to be wholly present in the moment? Why are these pure moments of passion so often replaced by cynicism, boredom, and indifference?" Matter asks. "As I played with my son, I thought about creating photographs that would show the world as if through the fantastical eyes of a child. The people in the images would be alive and in the moment, celebrating all aspects and emotions of everyday life."
"Asking dancers to embody these ideals makes perfect sense. Dancers are storytellers. They’re trained to personify passionate moments, their bodies imbued with a stunning combination of artistry and athleticism," he continues. "They create a fantasy world, offering us a deeper look into familiar settings. They bring to life what we feel but are unable to express physically."
What started in New York City in 2009 has now spread to other parts of the country as Matter tries to revive our emotions, passion, and a curiosity that'll lead us to embrace our surroundings with exuberance. (My Washington Heights peeps, do you recognize the scenery in the photo above?)

P.S. I think the behind-the-scenes videos are just as interesting as the final results.
Here's hoping for a beautiful and passion-filled weekend!

Images: dancersamongus.com

5 comments :

  1. These are really beautiful and kind of scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fear of falling/edges so a few of these give me a bit of anxiety. I mean what if she didn't get out of the train's way in time?! And just one slip from a couple others and it's a wrap.

      Still, the images are beautiful.

      Delete
    2. I thought about that. Then I laughed at myself because I assumed the train was going towards her, but it could've just as easily been pulling off from the station... Unless I missed something...

      Delete
    3. See when I first read your comment earlier this evening I thought, "OMG You're so right!" even though it still didn't convince me because she'd have to rush in and get into the right pose so he could still shoot the train in the background.

      But then I just looked at the photo again before writing my comment: the headlights, girl. They're not red.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Some of these are really crazy. I think I like the Legg Mason red dress one the best.

    ReplyDelete

Say word.