Thursday, February 23, 2012

Burlesque

Last night I went to my first burlesque show at The Delancey down by the Williamsburg Bridge where every Wednesday starting at 9:30 p.m. Shaken & Stirred Burlesque (hosted by Miss Runaround Sue, art director of Sugar Shack Burlesque) treats guests to free performances, shots, silly contests, comedy shticks, and dance breaks through the night.

For those who think stripper poles, extreme raunchiness, and nudity are involved, think again. In burlesque, the story, costume, and how the dancer engages the audience are just as important as the strip tease itself (plus, dancers not allowed to go fully nude anyway). Yesterday's performers were sexy, campy, and just so fun to watch as some lured us in with a demure sex kitten act and others hit us with steamy and seductive right from the start. We'd cheer the dancers on as they teased us with their feather boas and corsets, high heels and booty shakes until they were finishing it all off with a pull of that final string and a twirl of their tasseled pasties.

I absolutely loved the attitude. They might not all be toned and model perfect, but those ladies worked the stage (and us) and that's what made it all so attractive. And after checking out the strippers in a midtown club a few months ago as they lazily strutted around a dark stage in some half-assed routine they called a performance ("I've seen hotter action on a dance floor!" I complained.), it was great to see women use comedy, sex appeal, and music to snatch our attention and put on a riot of a show. By the end of the night, I was all smiles and sweat - from all the dancing, of course.

Have you ever been to a burlesque show? Could you imagine yourself doing your own secret performance? If you're in NYC, Livingsocial has a deal for Burlesque Bikini Bootcamp that expires today!

Image: lonesomeghosts.tumblr.com

7 comments :

  1. Everyone should do a burlesque show at least once in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard not to watch them and want to imitate a bit...

      Delete
  2. I have been to aome burlesque shows and agree - amazing performances!

    I worked as a nude stripper in my early 20s (Waikiki 1987-1996)and must tell you, back in my day (how old I sound!), us gals actually had 'shows'. We took great time and effort from everything to song selection, costumes and even some choreography. Things became much different toward the end of my stripping career - and I missed the burlesque-y type flavor, for sure. Seems I got in to (and out of) it at the right time.

    I am happy burlesque is still around. Dita Von Teese is one of my heros. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stripping just isn't the art form it used to be, I guess.

      Delete
  3. Hmm tempting living social deal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been, but to be honest I have zero knowledge if anything like that takes place around here. I might have to google and see. I'll have to ask Hubby what he thinks of these types of shows!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.