Thursday, June 30, 2011

Take Me Away

This morning, A. turned to me and said, "You know, I remember when you used to dance around and jump on the bed in the mornings and I'd look at you and think 'She's so vibrant and full of life.'"
"And now?" I asked from underneath the blanket.
"You seem to be really weighed down these days."
"I know," I sighed. "Was that back when I was unemployed?"
"Yeah."
"Exactly. I didn't have any cares or responsibilities then."
"I suppose so."

Working six days/56 hours a week doesn't leave much energy to attempt bed flips and tumbles at 8 in the morning. Don't get me wrong, when I play, I PLAY, but more often than not I'd much rather chillax than hit the town. And now A.'s current bout of funemployment is making me wish I had more time for myself.

I might not want to go full-freelance again just yet, but it's high time I took a break alone or accompanied. I keep thinking about laid-back afternoons on the beach and ticking off how many months its been since I took a day off for our trip to L.A. earlier this year. Four months and no future getaways in sight.

"Let's take a vacation then," A. said.
"Oh could we please?! No more just talking about it."

See, over the last few months we've collected an impressive list of destinations that we could visit, but nothing ever comes of it. Blame life, jobs and the fact that time is flying by so quickly. I mean July? Already?! Geezas.

Our list so far includes:
Montreal
Traveling through Europe
France
Hawaii
Thailand
Aruba
Jamaica
Bermuda
Bahama
Kokomo

Honestly, I really don't care where we end up as long as I get to leave this stormy stress behind for a few days and get a moment to breathe and sleep in (that is if my body ever regains that ability). Plus, everyone knows fluffy hotel room beds were absolutely made for jumping.

Where are you dreaming about these days?

Image: pinterest.com

8 comments :

  1. London. London. London!!

    We are starting to make plans for our big trip next summer and I cannot wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes; you've got to have some you time!

    Not dreaming about anywhere right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You suck! Where was all this when I was talking to you about going away?? HMPH! Anywho... good luck. Perhaps just cut down on the work load...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many places I want to go, but not possible right now with a toddler. But really, all I want is a day of relaxation...at home!

    I don't want to sound like a preacher, but take advantage of you freedom right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kokomo? as in Kokomo, Indiana? Gosh you really do need a vacation and badly!

    Here's to hoping you are jumping up and down on the bed soonest!

    Hmm... I'd like to go some place where there's no traffic... it's cool and comfy outside... there is a place to swim... and no bugs. Know of any place like that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine feeling like jumping around on the bed in the morning. I am sooooo not a morning person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are SO many places I want to go. Right now I'm just dreaming of going back to visit my old stomping grounds in Utah. But if I could go anywhere right now, it would be Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kelly, how exciting! I've never been to England (or any European country other than France) so I can't wait to hear all about it. Hope you have a wonderful time!

    Wait a minute...NEXT summer? As in 2012?! Dear Lord you guys start planning things early! That would just torture me.

    toriz, maybe you should start! If you could choose anywhere in the world, where would you go?

    dama, I was probably too frazzled to think about anything else. And I'd chillax on the work front, but Dorkys has student loans to pay off and dreams to fund.

    sugarlens, oh believe me, I am. And surely Anna would love to ride a plane across the skies, no?

    intense guy, you know I Googled around to make sure I had the correct spelling and came across that location. For the record, Kokomo Island is now know as Sandals Cay, a tiny island in Jamaica that is privately owned by Sandals resort. It was originally named after the song, but The Beach Boys' "Kokomo" was actually inspired by a pool-side bar in Islamorada in the Florida Keys.

    And hmmm...maybe a lake somewhere because to me, the Caribbean is synonymous with bugs. But even though I was attacked by mosquitoes there, my time spent wading around the beach in St. Lucia was incredible. Calm and crystal clear waters with little fishies swimming around my feet!

    janet, well I'm happy to say these mornings have been a lot better. I get up and don't feel like death as I get ready for the day. That's an improvement right? Not feeling zombified?

    karen, oh what I wouldn't give to visit Hawaii! Have you ever been?

    ReplyDelete

Say word.