Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Daze

Even though today is officially the beginning of summer, the hot days arrived in the city long ago. And what's been on my mind as we enter the sunny season? All of the projects I want to tackle over the next few months.

Blog revamp: After three years and nearly 1200 posts, I've been feeling the need to steer Dry As Toast in a new direction. I want a fresh look and more original/creative content. In other words, things that will pump some life into this place that will get me excited to blog once again. Sometimes you just have to shake things up when they start feeling stale. Come to think of it, my hair could probably use the same treatment.

Anywho, some ideas include interviews and guest posts from inspiring folk; narrowing the blog's focus to a few main themes such as relationships, lifestyle, arts, travel, NYC and personal insight; and going for quality rather than quantity. This means I might not share something new each day (but will share links to fun finds via Facebook and Twitter), but when I do, it will be meaningful.

What changes would you like to see on Dry As Toast?

Stationery design: This is pretty much the beast that refuses to die. No matter how many times I push this aside, it will not let me rest until I pay it some mind. Attending the National Stationery Show was a double-edged sword. It made me want to be a part of that scene so much, but goodness! The talent on display was a bit paralyzing. I learned so much from walking the show and talking to others, but it also made me fall back and Dream much more than Do. Could I honestly pull off a stationery collection and maintain a writing career?

Writing: Little by little the "Published In" section in my resume is growing. Now that I met my last goal with a story in Anthology's upcoming "The Great Outdoors" issue and unexpectedly landing a side gig, I have a few other publications on my target list that I want to hit next. Not to mention an idea for a children's book that's part autobiographical and part fiction.

Quite a busy summer, huh? And with no vacation plans in sight at the moment, I might have to set aside time to look through old travel photos of mine and remember what it was like to sit out by the beach and think about nothing but the setting sun and the waves crashing onto the shore.

What will you be doing in the upcoming months?

Image: creaturecomfortsblog.com

10 comments :

  1. I always enjoy what you write about so I'm looking forward to see where this all goes!

    As for my summer plans, I'm just working as much as I can which helps me stay out of the sticky heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the AC action, but sometimes some natural air and lighting can work wonders on your mood/energy. What are you working on these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I remember the days when we used to blog all. the. time. I know you didn't list this as your new blog focus, but I love reading about your personal life (weekend trips, etc).

    In the upcoming months, I will be commuting further for work, but looking forward to our family beach vacation this summer and Baby B in Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Baby B?!?! How the hell did I miss this news?! I'm so out of the loop, I'm sorry. Congratulations, sweetie! Off to go read through all the posts I've missed on your side!

    Oh, and yes, there will still be personal stuff on here under relationships and insight and whatnot. Thanks for sticking around all these years by the way. It means so much. Life does tend to get in the way after a while doesn't it? Look at us growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan on making some head way with my novel!!!!! I have designated "work days" that will be my writing days (when the maniac is at daycare throughout the next couple of months and I am home), and tomorrow is my first one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you for committing yourself! My coworker/friend and I had a great lunch yesterday and decided to use Monday lunches to motivate each other, create weekly goals and keep each other accountable on accomplishing them. On top of that, I've been having craft nights with another friend Monday evenings so we'll see what comes of this.

    Good luck to you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm nosy, and I'll read just about anything, so post what you want; I'll probably read it (even if I don't comment). I wouldn't mind a bit of info on what's in pictures when you post them though; the only posts I hate are ones where people just post a photo (or a photo with a sentence like, "how cool is this?"), which I can't see.

    As for my plans: craft projects are all I really have planned right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to see pictures of you (and A) smiling and doing things...

    ...and always enjoy an update on something you are working on - since you do some really cool work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops... I didn't answer your question did I?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. dorkys, i just wrote about my summer goals too! haha. bi-coastal brain sync.

    as for blog contents, i do miss your personal essays because you used to do them more often. other than that, i enjoy reading everything here so just keep blogging! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.