Thursday, June 16, 2011

The High Line and Rainbow City

The High Line is an elevated park that runs along the west side of Manhattan from Gansevoort Street to 30th Street. Originally constructed in the 1930s to lift freight trains off the street, the abandoned tracks were transformed into a public space in 2009. The second section, which added 10 blocks to the project, just opened last week and once completed, we'll have a mile-and-a-half long haven with concrete pathways lined with plants going up to 34th street and overlooking the Hudson River.

To celebrate the milestone, FriendsWithYou and AOL teamed up to create Rainbow City (through July 5), an interactive artistic playground filled with giant inflated sculptures and colorful characters located at the 30th Street and 10th Avenue entrance to the park. I finally popped over for a stroll after work Wednesday and it was so lovely I was still wishing I were there rather than in my cubicle today. The evening breeze as the sun set beyond the river, people watching and the children running ahead of their parents and the live band jamming away in the outdoor bar below us. All my days should end as blissfully as this.

4 comments :

  1. oooooohhh thanks for this...im gonna take my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you should! They'll totally love. And, of course, it's free! Let me know how it goes if you decide to take your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about this - they want to do the same thing to a section of abandon railway here in Philadelphia - but all they do in Philly is talk about doing it... I think its been about 10-15 years now that they've been talking about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that looks so lovely! and what are those giant inflatables? i love their colors!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.