Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Bizarre Yet Awesomeness That Is Tim Minchin

Last night, A. and I were lucky enough to attend Tim Minchin's sold out show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg and all I can say is it was two hours of comedy gold.

Okay, maybe I can say a bit more than that. Minchin is an Australian comedian/musician/actor who performs skits on rationalism, religion, society, his love of boobs and other pressing issues of the sort. I first heard about him through A. during our early courtship days (there's nothing like a little "Inflatable You" to woo a girl) and found him highly amusing aaand a wee bit creepy, not gonna lie. (I mean he does looks a little Beetlejuicey doesn't he?) But as much as I enjoyed watching him via YouTube, it doesn't compare to being 20 feet from him in a live show. The comedic timing, his quirky facial expressions, the cheap ass "special effects," how he just rolls with any technical glitches and rambles off on tangents, it just proved what a talented performer he is and made a true fan out of me.

And oh, can the guy work that piano! He might get a little manic during his musical numbers, but you'll quickly realize that he's always in control and so gifted in word play it'll make your brain ache in trying to keep up. His 9-minute beat poem, "Storm," is a prime example.

A month ago, I invited A. to finally see "Blue Valentine" with me and we walked out of the theater playing air ukulele, humming and dancing like two silly kids in the middle of the street.

"Aww, I want us to have a song, too" I suggested as I grabbed his hand and waited for the stoplight to change.
"You know what happens with couples who have a song right?"
"What? They break up?"
"Yup."

But last night he sang a different tune, namely one about love and how it can creep up and grow on you...much like a cancerous tumor. It's really quite romantic if you can manage to push past the weirdness of it all and I remember gently placing my hand on A.'s as Minchin sang of glaucoma and malignant melanoma.

"We found our song!" A. later said to me as we laughed through recounts of the show on our way home. And though Minchin's other song about being just as happy if he'd ended up loving somebody else would've been a perfect contender, I agreed that "You Grew on Me" would fit us just as well.



Image: socialbuckets.com

3 comments :

  1. Sounds like you had a fun night!!

    To answer your question about the cake colors: The red did taste bitter, which can happen with red food coloring. However, Wilton does make bright food colors and a little of the gel goes a LONG way. They also make a "no taste" red (which I did not use, sadly). So, other than the red layer, no bitter taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had a very enjoyable time! :)

    Also... I doubt having a song will effect whether or not you break up. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I can see why you fell head over heels for A. LMAO!

    He cracks me up. Imagine what Minchin would do with some Bomb Shelter signs - I bet he could write the perfect song for you and A...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Say word.