Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Kindle for Dickens

When a class assignment asked her to explain a piece of modern day technology to someone who lived and died before 1900, Rachel Walsh chose to explain the Kindle to English novelist Charles Dickens. "I thought it could've been a helpful piece of technology to have," the second year illustration student at the UK's Cardiff School of Art & Design explains. "He must've lugged a lot of heavy books around with him in his day!"

So Walsh designed 40 miniature replicas of well-known classics - each bound, covered and illustrated with the actual cover - and placed them inside a hardcover book as a metaphor for the portable reader.

"I made the book start to finish over five days, and it took about 35 hours to make I reckon. It was pretty painstaking cutting out all the gaps in the book itself, and making the books to go inside. They're all bound like actual books, so as I waited for them to glue and dry I would design the covers for them. All the covers are copies of real book covers. They include many of Dickens' novels, his favorite childhood books, and some of my own."

She's yet to be graded for her project, but this totally gets an A in my book. (via Gamma Squad)
Images: rachelwalshillustration.tumblr.com and rachelwalshillustration.tumblr.com

3 comments :

  1. That is so cool.. Very creative! I wouldn't have thought of that! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! I'd give her an "A" (and not The "A.") too.

    "I doubt she does requests, but I’d like to see Rachel take on explaining the iPhone to Alexander Graham Bell for her next project."

    Thinks that make you go hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I agree it deserves an A!

    ReplyDelete

Say word.